Lager series

Thats still beter than hops direct shipping. They run sales and like for instance pound of hops for 12 dollars then shipping 15 dollars.

1 Like

I haven’t bought from hops direct in a long time. The shipping is a pain regardless of who you deal with I guess. Unless it’s amazon prime but then you aren’t always sure of the source.

My LHBS has a pretty good selection and reasonable pricing so I try to give them as much business as possible. Just seems like they never have what I want/need in 1 lb bags recently…

Companies make money from shipping products. As an ex shipping employee one of the big ones purple and green. I saw how it worked they bring up shipping software and gives a shipping price then they tack on there fee on top of it. So what the actual shipping cost is lower than the company is charging us.

May have picked the wrong shipping on Hop head but the charged me 13.50 to ship 2 lbs UPS. The hops where cheap though. Maybe they charge $6/lb

For me the the quality and availability along with great service makes hop heads one of my favorite places for hops. The shipping cost compared to like other companies seems reasonable.

Another place i like is https://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/

I agree 2lbs of hops with shipping was about $1.09 an oz. That’s good. I’m interested to see the quality but I trust your opinion.

I agree. I found 2017 Kazbek hops on there for $5/lb. but then $14 to ship it. Must be one nice box!

Well again, they have to make some money too… I’m not opposed to that… I figure if I’m going to buy and lets say they have flat rate shipping… a couple of pounds are what I’m getting… My local brew said I could buy hops from him… I’ll need to check that out too. Sneezles61

Pretty impressed with Hop Heads already. Ordered the hops Thursday and received them today. Got an email notification on fulfillment, shipping, and delivery. Great followup.

I was a little concerned that the bag didn’t seem to be vacuum sealed but read on their website that they’re nitrogen purged so i guess they’re fine.

Im glad your happy with Hop heads. As for Nitrogen purge it is better than vacuum sealed. Vacuum sealing pulls a large amount of oxygen out of the bags but not all of it. To completely remove oxygen you replace it with a gas thats lighter than oxygen. Nitrogen pushes the air from the packages leaving no oxygen. Its about 99.9 percent oxygen free

OK, this next coming W/E I’ll start a small lager… 5% abv+/-
20 lbs Pilsner malt
8 oz C-120
I’ll use 1 oz German Magnum to the boil
4 oz hersbrucker, at FO.
!0 gallon batch… Just keeping things simple…
Now to look at more Doppelbocks… Sneezles61

In going to make my first Pils today.
8.75 lbs Bohemian Pilsner
1 lb Carapils
1oz Tettnanger 60min
2oz Saaz 30min
1oz Saaz 10min
1oz Saaz flame out
2 packets of 34/70

1 Like

I’ll probably brew schwarzbier in the next few days when I rack my most recent pils off the yeast. It’s been 17 days…I’ll see what the hyrometer says today and may rack one 5 gals off tomorrow so I can brew.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.2 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.7 %
12oz Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.1 %
2.80 oz German Hersbrucker [2.80 %] - Boil 90.0 Hop 4 28.0 IBUs
1.00 oz German Hersbrucker [2.80 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 5 3.4 IBUs
2.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [125. Yeast 6 -

This is my first time using midnight wheat. In the past I’ve used carafa special III. My LHBS didn’t have csIII so I figured I’d try this.

I’ve used and have some midnight wheat… I enjoy it… It wasn’t harsh, and helps with head retention… Sneezles61

Did you mash it or add it at the end of the mash?

Mashed… I haven’t heard/understood mash capping until the last 6 months or so. Sneezles61

I’ve used it and think its a great option…I know its hard to beat Carafa special III, but Midnight wheat comes close. No worries with overdone roasty notes, etc. No need to add late in mash/cap, etc… super dark color

I think it may have been you or @damian_winter that recommended it to me. Just mashed in a few minutes ago.

Decided to do 11 gallons and futz with the hop schedule just because… looks more like below now. It’s right at the upper range for IBU according to BS2.

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.5 %
4 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.1 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.4 %
2.00 oz German Hersbrucker [2.50 %] - First Wor Hop 4 9.8 IBUs
4.00 oz German Hersbrucker [2.50 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 5 17.9 IBUs
1.00 oz German Hersbrucker [5.80 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 6 2.1 IBUs
3.7 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [125. Yeast 7 -