Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Keggle Whirlpool help

I’ve been trying to whirlpool in my keggle after cooling but just can’t seem to get the nice hop mound some people get. Is it because it’s a domed bottom keggle, not a flat bottomed kettle. I first tried doing a manual whirlpool with poor results. I have now bought a pump and added a whirlpool inlet and fitting from bargain fittings. Last brew day I ran the whirlpool for 40 minutes with the immersion chiller in first, then pulled the IC and let it run for 20 minutes, then let it sit for 20 minutes. In the end, it looked like the hops were pretty even on the bottom. I did a 10 gallon pale ale with 5oz of pellet hops. I ran my march pump wide open for the entire time.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you’re chilling in the kettle, you’re not going to get a picture-perfect cone because the cold break is light and fluffy. I use an IC and pump, and I find that it helps to give the kettle a good stir after pulling the IC, just to loosen up anything that piled up against the IC, then run for a few minutes (I oxygenate here), and let settle for 10-20 minutes. Still end up with a “cloud” of cold break that goes into the fermenters, but the hot break and hops are nicely piled in the center and easy to avoid.

Well put Shadetree

[quote=“MullerBrau”]Well put Shadetree[/quote]Thanks Greg. I recently sold a plate chiller that I just never got around to using once I added the whirlpool option to the kettle and played around a little with the setup and realized that I was getting the same results as with the plate chiller without the worry and hassle of keeping the PC clean and sanitary.

Yesterday I ended up with a little higher efficiency than usual and since I boil to an OG, not a volume, I ended up with about 1.5 gallons of extra wort. Thought about letting the trub settle and sanitizing two fresh buckets, then decanting, to end up with the usual 5.5 gallons in each bucket but just had too much to do this time. Next brew day, that’s my plan though.

I’ll try stirring after I chill tomorrow and see what results I get.

I pump it ‘all’ to my buckets ( 10 gallon batch ). RDWHAHB. My beer is wonderful! :cheers:

A false bottom would also work the best.

I couldn’t get a good cone of debris again the other day. Not sure what my issue is. I may go with a hop spider or false bottom next.

[quote=“CCM”]I couldn’t get a good cone of debris again the other day. Not sure what my issue is. I may go with a hop spider or false bottom next.[/quote]How are you returning the wort to the kettle? Ideally you want the wort coming back in close to the bottom and as tangential as possible, so the wort is swept along the sides of the kettle and pushing the trub inwards.

With a domed bottom you get natural settling to the center. Just set your pickup to pull from the edge of the dome and leave the trub/hops behind.

I whirlpool in a flat-bottomed kettle and I’ll get some little coning of hop matter, but the cold break settles out flat.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]With a domed bottom you get natural settling to the center. Just set your pickup to pull from the edge of the dome and leave the trub/hops behind.[/quote]Unless I’m misunderstanding the OP, he’s whirlpooling but not getting the trub to end up in the depression in a cone, so I’m thinking that maybe he has a “messy” whirlpool with some part of the flow crossing through the center rather than sweeping the sides.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com