Janet's brown mash hop question

I’m making McDole’s Janet’s Brown Ale this weekend and I’ve got a question about the mash hopping. I’ve read that mash hopping doesn’t really affect the final beer, and McDole’s justification for it is that he uses it because that’s the way he;s always done it.

When I input the numbers into Beer Tools Pro, I get significantly less IBUs when I lessen the bittering charge to 1.25 oz (down from 2 oz) because the program doesn’t add mash hops into the equation. The total IBUs are something like 45-50 instead of the target 63.

So, I think I want to just skip the mash hop altogether and use the 2 oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes.

For those of you that have made this recipe, does this sound OK? I want a firm bitterness and I’m not sure how the hops will carry over from the mash.

Thanks

Don’t use it as an additional 60 minute addition. The beer will be way too bitter. Throw it in as an extra dry hop or at flame-out if you have to use them.

… or just do as the recipe says and throw them into mash, wasteful or not.

[quote=“alanzo”]Don’t use it as an additional 60 minute addition. The beer will be way too bitter. Throw it in as an extra dry hop or at flame-out if you have to use them.

… or just do as the recipe says and throw them into mash, wasteful or not.[/quote]

The extract version calls for 2 oz of Northern Brewer at 60 mins, with the all-grain calling for 1.25 oz at 60 mins with .75 oz in the mash. I’m just using the extract hopping schedule and omitting the mash hop.

Sound OK?

[quote=“Chinaski1217”][quote=“alanzo”]Don’t use it as an additional 60 minute addition. The beer will be way too bitter. Throw it in as an extra dry hop or at flame-out if you have to use them.

… or just do as the recipe says and throw them into mash, wasteful or not.[/quote]

The extract version calls for 2 oz of Northern Brewer at 60 mins, with the all-grain calling for 1.25 oz at 60 mins with .75 oz in the mash. I’m just using the extract hopping schedule and omitting the mash hop.

Sound OK?[/quote]

You’re not getting any bitterness out of the mash hop, so I would go with what the All Grain batch says, 1.25oz, and use the rest at flameout or something.

Oh, and the extract batch probably has a higher 60min addition because of the low utilization most extract brewers have due to a concentrated boil.