It's 90 degrees out and I'm brewing!

OK…I have 2 kits I need to make and I can’t wait any longer. Dead Ringer is first on deck. The basement is a nice ambient 63 so nice and cool to ferment.

Any one else as crazy as me?

Come down to Austin and brew with me tomorrow, probably be pushing 100F by the time I finish the boil at 11:00 AM. Biggest challenge is the nice hot groundwater and knocking the wort temp down to the point where the ice bath can kick in.

I was hoping to brew tomorrow am. Suppose to be 94F with increasing humidity. I’ll pass. I have enough in the pipeline to wait another week. The 94F I can deal with because in all honesty, I’d start at like 6 or 7am when it would be in the 70’s or at worst low 80’s. I can’t stand the humidity though. Maybe next weekend :x

I brewed Friday evening. The high was 103 just a couple of hours earlier. The garage felt like one hot sauna with the banjo burner going. A few cold beers later, it didn’t matter!

I’m sure it’ll be pushing 100, if not more by the time I finish up on Saturday.

Thought about brewing up here also this weekend, but temps will still be in mid 90’s with stifling humidity. Reaching 100F tomorrow. What I call stupid hot. Looks like it will be the weekend of the 14th to brew the NB Belgian Wit.

yes… I’ll be brewing tonight several miles north of you in Mound, GarretD. picking up my grains on the way home. I figure I’ll probably start the boil around 9 or 10 tonight. and will be fighting off raccoons the whole time, I’m guessing.

Crap…first time using my new burner outside and it crapped out on me…back to Menards it goes and onto the stove top for me…

So what is a good burner without one of those stupid timers and sensor? LOL…

[quote=“GarretD”]

Any one else as crazy as me?[/quote]

I didn’t realize brewing in 90 degree weather was crazy. It’s what I do all summer. :slight_smile:

It’s tougher when you get up into the 100s like those folks in Texas!

I mashed in 100F temps the other day, didn’t lose much heat during the 90min mash. And the sparge water seemed to heat up faster than normal. Maybe cause it was 120F before I turned on the burner.

I brewed a few days ago when the temp was pushing up into the mid to high 90s and it felt warmer with everything taken into account. Not only did I brew up my belgian IPA but I smoked a chicken for about four hours or something. I have horrible hobbies for hot days…

But on the plus side, my chicken turned out well and I using a yeast that can ferment pretty high. Our basement temp is reading 72 on the fermenters so I used a few frozen water bottles to drop it a tad. My buddy on the other hand, is probably going to have a terrible beer after he fermented the first few days of a California Lager Wyeast at somewher around 74*…

My friend and I had a double brew session + partigyle last saturday. it hit about 103, terrible! Standing between 2 burners got ya cooking really fast. So no, you are not crazy, brewing has got to get done somehow!

Cheers!

I will be making a brown porter, witch will be hard for me being 100 degrees tomorrow, but oh well. I will also be smoking some ribs. May have to get my daughters kiddie pool out and hang out in there while I’m waiting for my mash. :smiley:

[quote=“GarretD”]Crap…first time using my new burner outside and it crapped out on me…back to Menards it goes and onto the stove top for me…

So what is a good burner without one of those stupid timers and sensor? LOL…[/quote]

I have this one from amazon and love it. Free shipping too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009JXYQ ... 194&sr=8-3

[quote=“ebbs81”][quote=“GarretD”]Crap…first time using my new burner outside and it crapped out on me…back to Menards it goes and onto the stove top for me…

So what is a good burner without one of those stupid timers and sensor? LOL…[/quote]

I have this one from amazon and love it. Free shipping too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009JXYQ ... 194&sr=8-3[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I will order it later today.

I’m getting ready to bust out 22 gallons of Two Hearted Ale and the temperature will be in the upper 90’s today. I use two Chillzilla’s in series to knock down to pitching temperature. 22 gallons will take about 8-10 minutes today to chill to 72F.

I sneaked in a batch just before this heat wave hit, but I’ve been itching to brew the patersbier for a couple years now. Finally all ready to go… but I think I’ll wait a couple weeks until I get back from a hiking trip out west. Hope the weather is decent out in Montana!

brewed a 6g batch on lake walk pale ale today, now just have to keep the fermentation temperatures down

Brewed at 104 earlier this week and that ended up being the easy part of the day. Canning 25 jars of tomatoes and 15 of beans, now that got the temp up. I bet it was over 115 in my garage!

Tonight will be more tomatoes :slight_smile:

It is better than 11 degrees and shivering.

Barry

It’s always 90 degrees when I brew!!!

I just wear my NB hat so that I don’t drip into the kettle