IPA mash temp

I’m gonna be brewing my first IPA. This is gonna be a single malt brew. The hops will be columbus, green bullet and citra. 1056 for the yeast. What temp should I shoot for on the mash?

It sorta depends on what you’re looking for and the grain you’re using. You probably know this, but the lower the temp, the drier the beer. Yeast plays a role here too, as a higher attenuated yeast added to a lower mashed wort will yield a fermentation on the upper end of the yeast’s abilities. Whereas, in contrast, the same yeast added to a higher mash temp wort will ferment on the lower end of the yeast’s attenuation scale. So 1056 is in the 73-77% range, mashing lower (146-148) might get you to 77% attenuation, mashing higher (155) might leave you at 73%. Whether any of us are skilled enough to detect how high or low you mashed at is really the million dollar question, because at the end of the day, you get to drink it.

I realize you’re using more than one hop variety, but I’d say in general 152 is probably a safe spot. A SMASH brew generally forfeits some of the complexities the other malts bring to the party, so mashing higher might give you some additional maltiness (perceived as slightly sweet) but that is up to you.

Here’s a good thread on BS about adding complexity to a SMASH brew: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9402.0

Excellent summary, thanks!

Agreed, I no longer perform mashes at temps higher than this unless they are relatively low gravity brews in which I really need underattenuation.

There’s no right answer. It really depends on what you want from your IPA. If you want bone dry, you can go down to 148-150 range and add simple sugars to the boil kettle, if you want it on the sweeter side you can go 158. Lagunitas IPA for example is mashed around 160 :shock:

In general though I find that something in the lower range (low 152ish) fits my needs well.

What grain are you using? I’m assuming 2-row, but that may also make a difference.

For what it’s worth, every IPA I’ve brewed has been mashed at 152 degrees F.

[quote=“mabrungard”][quote=“moose”]

I realize you’re using more than one hop variety, but I’d say in general 152 is probably a safe spot.
[/quote]

Agreed, I no longer perform mashes at temps higher than this unless they are relatively low gravity brews in which I really need underattenuation.[/quote]
Same here. I’ve actually found that over the last few years my mash targets have gotten progressively lower. Might have something to do with my increased focus on German-style lagers :smiley:

Thanks for the input guys. I will go with 152. It is all 2 row malt. Can’t wait to brew it, but this weather is getting in my way. -8F here last night. I’m considering calling off work tomorrow if the weather is better.