Innkeeper AG recipe adjustment

I’m planning an InnKeeper batch coming up and I read on a review of someone that subbed the corn sugar used in the boil for brown sugar to give a nice toffee touch to the flavor. Any other experience with this out there? or other suggestions?
Also, thinking fo using 1272 with it,

I have never found any flavor difference between corn sugar and brown sugar in a beer. If you add it to the boil, all the flavor subtleties of the brown sugar will get driven off by the boil and fermentation.

You can certainly use 1272, but the beer won’t have the “English” quality that it would otherwise.

Use an English crystal malt if you want some toffee character. Fawcett crystal is great for this, if you can get it.

And +1 to Denny about 1272. It will make beer, but it will change the flavors a lot. Make this with Wyeast 1469 if you can still find it. 1028, London Ale would be good, too.

I would avoid this additional toffee/ IMHO—unwanted sweetness character. This type of aspect seems as though it is more fitting for a winter warmer/ olde ale not a bitter. But hey its your coin if you want, do it.

You will get plenty of balance from the pinch of crystal, originally Kristen calls for x-dark crystal which is around 150L. I have found after a dozen or so batches that I actually prefer the dark crystal that hovers around 75L as this is meant to be a clean crisp bitter nothing more nothing less. The crispness actually comes from the 1469 strain as it adds a minerality that emulates sulfate “kindof” and the plain sugar also helps to dry out the finish. Where again I think the brown sugar would add a cloying aspect to the finish that is reverse of the intent.
In the past discussions it was mentioned that TT probably uses invert etc… So I would say cane-corn sugar/homemade invert/ Golden syrup if you can find it still.

As far as alternate strains I have found the closest match was the 1335.

Its basically the end of the quarter so its not a huge deal as most LHBS should be sold out of their stock( I have held my tongue as I wouldn’t want LHBS to be stuck with old cultures and defeat the addition) but at long last the 1469 is to become a permanent addition to the lineup. Which is huge for me as I have cultured this and ran out of 1469 a few times after multi re pitches over the years, I keep this on tap as a house beer and after some messing about I found the 1335 did the trick as a second pony.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]
Its basically the end of the quarter so its not a huge deal as most LHBS should be sold out of their stock( I have held my tongue as I wouldn’t want LHBS to be stuck with old cultures and defeat the addition) but at long last the 1469 is to become a permanent addition to the lineup. Which is huge for me as I have cultured this and ran out of 1469 a few times after multi re pitches over the years, I keep this on tap as a house beer and after some messing about I found the 1335 did the trick as a second pony.[/quote]
It is?!?!!! Excellent, I love that yeast.
:cheers:

+3 My prior statement sort of sums up my humble opinion on this yeast. But I would tend to agree that this is THE bomb!! Talk about a happy new year alright!! I got the low down from a bunch of NB staff over a month ago but as I said I didn’t want to jump the gun on the word and LHBS would be stuck flush with a ton and then defeat the roll in of fresh cultures. I say kudos Wyeast this is indeed something I have been hoping to happen for quite a while. I know there are many others that share this sentiment also.

I have not messed around with any ESB, Brown, warmers, stickies or other traditional British styles as I have just bounced around 5-6 other session bitter recipes to keep along side the tried and true Innkeeper. It is definitely my goto bitter strain anyway as it was too precious to let go to brown or warmer etc… there are 3 others strains that work well already for those. All I can say is the 1469 will start to go into many other trials in this brewery!

[quote=“ITsPossible”]+3 My prior statement sort of sums up my humble opinion on this yeast. But I would tend to agree that this is THE bomb!! Talk about a happy new year alright!! I got the low down from a bunch of NB staff over a month ago but as I said I didn’t want to jump the gun on the word and LHBS would be stuck flush with a ton and then defeat the roll in of fresh cultures. I say kudos Wyeast this is indeed something I have been hoping to happen for quite a while. I know there are many others that share this sentiment also.

I have not messed around with any ESB, Brown, warmers, stickies or other traditional British styles as I have just bounced around 5-6 other session bitter recipes to keep along side the tried and true Innkeeper. It is definitely my goto bitter strain anyway as it was too precious to let go to brown or warmer etc… there are 3 others strains that work well already for those. All I can say is the 1469 will start to go into many other trials in this brewery![/quote]
I’ve used it in a couple of browns and a porter and it really goes well with darker grains.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just go ahead and grab the 1469 with that.

My advice is to put that Innkeeper together just the way the beer gods send it to you. There’s a reason that it’s put together the way it is, and you will know that reason once it hits your lips! I always use the 1469, which I highly recommend as well, and have tried it in a few other styles and really like the way that it has performed, most recently in a Dusseldorf Alt. Its low on the attenuative scale though and this is something that must be accounted for when using it. Good luck, you are going to love that beer!

+1 ^^^^. I’m brewing it today. it’s awesomely good. my new “house” beer.

Well,…I did just that. I brewed it today with the Yorkshire 1469 yeast and just as the kit directed. Only thing I’m perplexed about is the color. Seems darker to me than the ‘blonde’ image depicted in the catalog.

It’ll be much lighter in your glass.

What beer is the Innkeeper based on? My friend ordered it and was wondering… (not to hi-jack your thread)

http://www.timothytaylor.co.uk/OurProdu ... dlord.aspx