I just can't do it

You know I’m always stopping by my friends house who is infatuated with the NEIPA. He goes to treehouse weekly and brings home a couple cases. Tastes like grapefruit juice and the acidity is to much for me. Am I the only one? These guys stand in line and I can’t even finish one. They do make an ESB called appropriately Old Man. I like it. Nuff said

2 Likes

Everyone can’t like everything.

2 Likes

I agree with @WMNoob. Not everyone likes everything.

2 Likes

I like most IPA’s, but definitely not all. I’m still trying to decide if its good or bad that IPA is still SOO FREAKING popular that we now need all the sub-categories. IPA, West-coast, NEIPA, and now Brut.

It’s hard to take people used to beer-flavored seltzer, and introduce them to craft when there are 10 different IPA’s and maybe a milk stout, and a tripel on tap.

Oh I like IPAs and I can drink one after the other other but all the suspended material in some of the NE style gives me heartburn and gas. I think heady topper is tame compared to some of these that I’m fed trying to be convinced how good they are.

I’ve yet to try one. The haze doesn’t really appeal to me.

Indeed me a ipa person but not all of them. If the ibu goes of the scale. It becomes. Nasty. To my taste

The haze. That keeps me away from brewing one. Maybe its just a state of mind for me

I really like a hazy NEIPA but I can only really have one and appreciate it.After that my taste buds don’t work as well. I have 3 breweries that I can walk to and one of them their menu is 90% NEIPAs, I don’t go there as often because I find it boring.

1 Like

Now on the other hand I’m heading out to 2 breweries in the area that are tapping the resilience today. Gonna compare them. I’m still planning to brew it

1 Like

Oh brew cat, I’m disappointed… I’ve tried one, or at least an imitator… Was it Surley? MHall will have to verify for me… When I first tried the “IPA’s”, Summit had one with a blue label that was very good… They don’t make that one… Then Big Sky Brewing had one with an antelope on the label… That was a very good one also… Its not the same as I remember now… Perhaps my taste buds have changed… There really isn’t an IPA that grabs my attention any more… I tried a Brute style, or imitator, it wasn’t too bad… Its kinda where I’ve been going with my IPA’s, drying them out… Sneezles61

1 Like

Not for lack of trying. I’ve had dozens of NEIPA s. Just not my thing. I’ve even brewed one a couple times and will again at some point. I’ll take traditional west coast thank you

2 Likes

I guess the IPAs I brew are “west coast” style since they’re clear…

I’m not big on the overpowering grapefruit IPAs regarldess of clarity…nor do I like the thick gritty mouthfeel of some NEIPAs. Same gastric issues for me @brew_cat

I had one from a local brewery recently that was good for half a pint…stonefruit, mango, tropical…great aroma…alas it became too cloyingly sweet for me before I could finish the pint…didn’t have the gastric impact the grapefruit ones have though…

Drink what ya like…brew what ya like…I know I will…haha

2 Likes

I’m a dark and malty kind of guy - porter, stout, a nice dark Belgian quad. The more IPAs (and sours) become popular, the more I have to brew my own. That’s not a bad thing is it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its all really good… I too am a west coast IPA when I have one… My hope is to go to Alaska fall 2019, then, stop in Oregon on the way home to sample a few pints… I’d love to see the hop fields too! Sneezles61

Not to derail this but. . .@sneezles61 If you’re going to Anchorage while your in Alaska, be sure to make plans to visit Anchorage Brewing. I have been getting their beers shipped to me via Tavour and every single one I’ve tried has been good to flat out excellent.

Back on track, every year I brew up Off the Topper and Plinian Legacy for June/July. It’s fun to have buddies over and see which style they prefer. Gives a nice contrast. I tend to prefer a West Coast with a meal much moreso than a NEIPA but both are nice for a few pints, particularly in the middle of summer.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

New England has ruined my taste buds for sure. I used to be a west coast guy, loving the dry and bitter style but my trip to Boston last year turned that upside down. Tree House is definitely my favorite brewery as well. The line sucks but the prices and can limits (now) are superb compared to most other breweries. Trillium, Other Half, Aslin and Dancing Gnome are my other solid go to’s of the NEIPA.

I used to go to trillium when they were down by the pier and brewed mostly farm house. I guess they moved and cut their workers pay from $8 to $5. They are also building a brewery in CT in the town my sister lives. I guess I’ll be checking them out

I cannot get behind a brewery that doesn’t spread the wealth to its employees. $5 is below min wage and illegal. If you are sure about that I’ll never buy their beer again

Other Half is expanding their locations I hear