How to Bust a Wort Chiller Via Freezing Temps

Here is a pic of my $65 wort chiller that busted after I failed to completely discharge the water and left it in my storage shed/brew house during cold weather. Thought I had blown out all the excess water. Pretty sure that’s what happened to it, anyways. I can’t think of anything else. Anyone?

[attachment=0]Busted-Wort-Chiller.jpg[/attachment]

Bummer. Before tossing it, I would stop by my local home improvement store to see about finding a proper pipe connector for it. Something like in this image :

http://www.pexuniverse.com/sites/defaul ... ttings.jpg

You’d also need a pipe cutter to remove the cracked portion. If you can patch that up (metal, not PVC) without any leaks at all, then it might save the investment you made in it.

Get the mini copper tube cutter that only requires one inch clearance for turning to make the cut. You will only need to solder in a connector. No lead solder used in plumbing applications.

Just carefully squeeze the split shut and solder it with silver solder. Problem solved.

[quote=“SteveNJ”]Bummer. Before tossing it, I would stop by my local home improvement store to see about finding a proper pipe connector for it. Something like in this image :

http://www.pexuniverse.com/sites/defaul ... ttings.jpg

You’d also need a pipe cutter to remove the cracked portion. If you can patch that up (metal, not PVC) without any leaks at all, then it might save the investment you made in it.[/quote]
Yeah, thought about that. I wonder if the solder material would impart any impurities in the brew?

Oh, that answer’s my question on the previous post. I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

Hummm. That seems like a good idea. Won’t have any issues with leakage, you think?

Hummm. That seems like a good idea. Won’t have any issues with leakage, you think?[/quote]

If you end up with more volume after chilling, than you started with, the solder didn’t hold. I would worry that at some point in the future, the solder patch would fail as the chiller flexes.

Hummm. That seems like a good idea. Won’t have any issues with leakage, you think?[/quote]

Def do this. no need to cut it open. Silver solder will have no effect on the beer.

After use, turn over and tilt it on a 45. Rotate in your hands until all the water has been removed. Or you can suck it out with a shop vac in 1 min.

Yet another reason winter SUCKS!

Def do this. no need to cut it open. Silver solder will have no effect on the beer.

After use, turn over and tilt it on a 45. Rotate in your hands until all the water has been removed. Or you can suck it out with a shop vac in 1 min.

Yet another reason winter SUCKS![/quote]
Thanks, man. I’ll give it a shot. Will post pics later.

I would cut out the split part, solder a coupler to one end, let it dry and harden, pull the clean cut part as tight as I could inside the coupler, then and solder the other end and let it set up. You should be fine.

I would just test it a few times prior to using it to cool your wort.

In the picture they used a brass fitting, but the mechanics should be the same.

Thanks, AndyMag. I plan to give both methods a try. I like this one better, I think. Looks cleaner. Anyways, it’s great to see I’m not the only one to have busted a wort chiller! Misery loves company. :wink: My condolences to whomever this chiller belonged to. My praise on the nice work.

Man, I’m glad you posted this! The snow is flying today and I forgot that my chiller was out in the garage. I went and grabbed it just now. Good save! :cheers:

Awesome. Glad I helped!

I’m with you there. The second i read this post my heart dropped as I was scared i left my CFC in the garage. Thankfully, it’s in the basement.

Oh and i would cut out the broken section, trying to fix the crack is not for me. I like the idea peace of mind that it definitely will not fail in the future.

I’m with you there. The second i read this post my heart dropped as I was scared i left my CFC in the garage. Thankfully, it’s in the basement.

Oh and i would cut out the broken section, trying to fix the crack is not for me. I like the idea peace of mind that it definitely will not fail in the future.[/quote]
Yup, that’s what I went with. Works like a charm. Fortunate, I am.