How much beer do you drink?

That really sucks Beersk, want you to get well so your taster comes back. Lookin’ forward to the nap Danny.

unsure why it’s anyone’s business.

My bathroom scale says my consumption went up…

Not trying to be a “beerdick” but I think beer gets a bad rap and it’s something that is easy to blame for weight gain when in truth it has very little to do with it. 95% of your weight gain usually comes from eating greasy foods associated with places that serve beer , lack of exercise , or just poor diet and lack of exercise. Beer will slow down your metabolism some and drinking three pints of beer has about the same caloric intake as eating a bar of chocolate (on average) but that’s not enough to say “damn beer made me fat” IMO eat healthy … get outside … drink beer has always worked for me. Cheers !

Maybe if you are drinking Michelob Ultra. Most beers are around 150-300 calories per 12 oz. 3 pints (48 oz) would put you in the 600-1200 calorie range.

That said, I don’t think anyone should blame food or drink for weight gain. It’s kinda like blaming a weapon for a murder.

Anywhere from 1-3

Maybe if you are drinking Michelob Ultra. Most beers are around 150-300 calories per 12 oz. 3 pints (48 oz) would put you in the 600-1200 calorie range.

That said, I don’t think anyone should blame food or drink for weight gain. It’s kinda like blaming a weapon for a murder.[/quote]

600-1200 calories from beer is not the same as 600-1200 calories from food. You can’t compare them point for point.

Thirty years ago all we had to drink in this area was “yellow beer” from the major breweries, and while I’d occasionally go to a party and have a few, I didn’'t like the pilsner enough to drink it often.

About two years ago a friend gave me a bottle of porter, and taught me how to brew my own.

I’ve now upgraded to 5-gal all-grain batches and love the darker brews.

I have medication and weight issues, so I only occasionally have more than one a day or 4-5 per week. I do enjoy what I have though.

[quote=“CobiaTower”]

600-1200 calories from beer is not the same as 600-1200 calories from food. You can’t compare them point for point.[/quote]

Why not? A calorie is a calorie.

I get the munchies when I drink beer. This is especially true for hoppy IPAs perhaps due to hops being cousins of the cannabis. I don’t think drinking beer alone will get me fat.

[quote=“pb905”][quote=“CobiaTower”]

600-1200 calories from beer is not the same as 600-1200 calories from food. You can’t compare them point for point.[/quote]

Why not? A calorie is a calorie.[/quote]
Yeah you are right I think I should of worded my earlier reply a little differently. I’m not an expert by any means but from my limited research in this subject IMO your body processes the two calories much differently. Going back to my original reply I don’t think beer contributes to weight gain as much as it gets the blame for but then again I could be completely wrong. I just know what works for me and I hope to be enjoying beers well into my senior years. :cheers:

When I bring out a bomber of my year old plus ‘Old Ale’ and pair it with an extra-large piece of double chocolate cake…Well you might call that excessive calories. My Doc says a couple beers or wine a day is healthy for you. He’s another one of my giveaway customers.

a

I tend to go in ebbs and flows with my drinks. Some weeks I’ll have 1-2 a day during the week then have far too many on the weekends. Other times, I’ll have none for two or three weeks, to give my body a rest.

Regarding the science behind 1200 calories of beer vs. 1200 of food, I have always been under the impression that too much of anything is never good. However, as I understand it moderate alcohol consumption is not linked to weight gain.
I had a MD explain it as such: when we eat food our intestines do the digesting. When we drink alcohol, our liver and kidneys do the digesting. With that, our body treats alcohol as a poison and tries to convert it and excrete it as acetic acid. Under that logic, it is never fully metabolized and not converted nor stored as energy.

I don’t know too much, but what “I” do know, is when I go on my 2-3 weeks of beer daily, I tend to get “puffy” and retain too much water and look larger than my frame should.

A

I was drinking quite a bit, usually 2-3 on any given night, and about that much on weekends.

Then, for our anniversary (May 16th), my wife asked me what I wanted for an anniversary gift. I told her a temp controller. Done. It’s now on the freezer I bought.

I then asked her what she wanted (thinking dinner, flowers, stuffed animals, etc). She told me she wanted me not to touch a drop of alcohol for the entire month of May. No beer, no bourbon (I love bourbon), no nothing. So, day 21 of my sobriety.

In all this, I’ve brewed 2 batches, secondaried 2 batches, and bottled a batch this month so far.

Not the easiest thing.

[quote=“paultuttle”]I was drinking quite a bit, usually 2-3 on any given night, and about that much on weekends.

Then, for our anniversary (May 16th), my wife asked me what I wanted for an anniversary gift. I told her a temp controller. Done. It’s now on the freezer I bought.

I then asked her what she wanted (thinking dinner, flowers, stuffed animals, etc). She told me she wanted me not to touch a drop of alcohol for the entire month of May. No beer, no bourbon (I love bourbon), no nothing. So, day 21 of my sobriety.

In all this, I’ve brewed 2 batches, secondaried 2 batches, and bottled a batch this month so far.

Not the easiest thing.[/quote]
Why did she ask you to do this? She think you have a problem?

This is why I try to keep my consumption under control. Lately, I’ve been keeping a beer log, so I can track what I’ve been drinking on a daily basis and see how much it ends up being for the week. It tends to get away from me sometimes and I’ll end up drinking 4 or 5 pints on a given weekend night on a regular basis. That’s a bit too much. I like going to bed sober and getting good sleep. But I like catching a nice buzz as much as I like being sober…it’s all about balance.

Guess it’s time for me to ring in here. When I started brewing a couple of years ago. I drank quite a bit, maybe 3-5 a night (the novelty thing, you know–it’s simply amazing how fast one can go through a keg of beer if you put your mind to it :mrgreen: ) Lately I’ve toned it down quite a bit. I probably average one or two beers every other day or so during the week, maybe two or three a day on weekends.

It’s not about the quantity these days, it’s about the quality IMO… :cheers:

I drank way too much last weekend (not just beer, therein lies the problem), so I haven’t touched any since…

I may break the streak and have a couple tonight to kick off the long weekend :slight_smile:

• 100 Marty. Quality!!!

[quote=“Templar”]I drank way too much last weekend (not just beer, therein lies the problem), so I haven’t touched any since…

I may break the streak and have a couple tonight to kick off the long weekend :slight_smile: [/quote]
I’d really like to do that, but I’m getting over a cold and can’t taste beer at all. Had a couple last night and my helles didn’t taste any different than my hoppy pale lager or my dunkel. Sad… but if I can’t taste it, there’s no point in me drinking it.