How much beer do you drink?

I asked her that very question. She said she didn’t think I did, but she was more concerned that I could end up having one. Not from the beer, but from the bourbon. So, after the month is up, I’m stopping the hard stuff, but will stay with the beer.

I just read something that a British research group did a study stating that of a sample of ‘regular’ alcohol users, a 30-day hiatus/abstinence from alcohol was shown to drop fatty liver tissue by as much as 20%. Definitely a good move. I’m sure it would help even more if one was able to drop a few pounds and/or drop bodyfat percentage during that time.

I want to do a 30-day, but I bought VIP tix to a beer festival (the only one I will go to this year) in early June. May give it a shot after that.

[quote=“Pietro”]I just read something that a British research group did a study stating that of a sample of ‘regular’ alcohol users, a 30-day hiatus/abstinence from alcohol was shown to drop fatty liver tissue by as much as 20%. Definitely a good move. I’m sure it would help even more if one was able to drop a few pounds and/or drop bodyfat percentage during that time.

I want to do a 30-day, but I bought VIP tix to a beer festival (the only one I will go to this year) in early June. May give it a shot after that.[/quote]
Man, a month is a long time to go without it…while it wouldn’t be a problem, I’d have to basically stop brewing, or drink everything I have on tap and stop drinking while I rebuild my supply.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“Pietro”]I just read something that a British research group did a study stating that of a sample of ‘regular’ alcohol users, a 30-day hiatus/abstinence from alcohol was shown to drop fatty liver tissue by as much as 20%. Definitely a good move. I’m sure it would help even more if one was able to drop a few pounds and/or drop bodyfat percentage during that time.

I want to do a 30-day, but I bought VIP tix to a beer festival (the only one I will go to this year) in early June. May give it a shot after that.[/quote]
Man, a month is a long time to go without it…while it wouldn’t be a problem, I’d have to basically stop brewing, or drink everything I have on tap and stop drinking while I rebuild my supply.[/quote]

Is it stuff that wouldn’t hold for 30 days? Or would the temptation of having it on tap be too much? Willpower Daniel-san

Seriously.

The first thing they have you do in P90x is raid your cupboard/fridge and throw away anything that isn’t dense protein, vegetable, dairy, or fruit. Removing the temptation makes things like this so much easier. Matt, this is one of the benefits of not kegging, you can move your bottles to someone else’s house. I cannot move my kegerator without some hardcore riggers coming by my basement

My wife recently said that if she had wine as easily accessible as my beer, she would have had to check into Betty Ford a long time ago. :cheers:

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“Beersk”][quote=“Pietro”]I just read something that a British research group did a study stating that of a sample of ‘regular’ alcohol users, a 30-day hiatus/abstinence from alcohol was shown to drop fatty liver tissue by as much as 20%. Definitely a good move. I’m sure it would help even more if one was able to drop a few pounds and/or drop bodyfat percentage during that time.

Man, a month is a long time to go without it…while it wouldn’t be a problem, I’d have to basically stop brewing, or drink everything I have on tap and stop drinking while I rebuild my supply.[/quote]

Is it stuff that wouldn’t hold for 30 days? Or would the temptation of having it on tap be too much? Willpower Daniel-san[/quote]

It’s temptation mixed with wanting to brew. If I’m not drinking the beer, I can’t brew. I don’t want to go that long without brewing either. I try to brew 2 or 3 times a month, so I have to keep the beer flowing in order to do that. I’ve got 5 spots for kegs and 3 taps, so gotta keep it rollin’.
Going a month with out beer would be pretty easy I think, it’s just that…why? Why would I do that? I don’t have a problem as it is, there’s no reason for me to do that. I’d like to see the general coffee drinking population go a month with out it…there you will see a habit that is just as bad as alcoholism, but way more socially accepted.

I agree that caffeine is more addictive than alcohol (or according to many, heroin), but I think alcohol is far harder on vital organs (liver, stomach, kidneys, brain) than caffeine, even in moderation.

I have to admit, there are some days I look longingly at the 5 fermenters in the basement. But, I know it’s temporary, and it’ll be just another week. I’m hoping to be let off early next weekend for good behavior.

That may be true, but it’s the fact that so many people are addicted and can’t do without it that is the issue. I think regular/moderate drinkers get a bad rap because we partake everyday… it’s no different than someone who has to have their coffee in the morning. It’s a morning ritual…just like beer is an evening ritual for me. Sure, I don’t NEED it, but damn it, I want it, it makes my day that much better. I also equate it to many people’s addiction to chocolate. There’s countless chocoholics out there. Funny, chocoholics didn’t come up as a word that isn’t recognized by spellcheck…interesting…

I have found this so interesting it got me to really thinking about what I do. without being conscious about it I bottle, and when I get excessive I give it away. It just came to me now, it’s not intentional. I have a couple of kegs but mostly use them when I do parties and such, pre planned things. Glad you guys brought it all up, it’s thought provoking.

I would also think that with regular exercise, plus a good amount of water intake throughout the day, a beer or two at night isn’t going to harm you much at all.

Typically I drink 100+ ounces of water per day, plus hit the gym or the track at lunch. I may drink 1-2 beers at night, usually followed by a couple of glasses of water before bed. Weekends I may drink a little more, but I usually drink more of other fluids as well (yard work can be tough). You’d be shocked at how good your body is at flushing nasties out of your system if you’re well hydrated.

As Demetri Martin says, “I’ve heard of chocoholics, but I ain’t never heard of no chocohol”. Apparently NB’s spell checker has had the same experience, given the squiggly line under ‘chocohol’…

As Demetri Martin says, “I’ve heard of chocoholics, but I ain’t never heard of no chocohol”. Apparently NB’s spell checker has had the same experience, given the squiggly line under ‘chocohol’…[/quote]
There’s a difference between a habit and an addiction, I think. We all have habits that are hard to break, that doesn’t mean we are physically addicted. Maybe we have mental addictions, but that’s not as harmful as physical addiction and easier to break I think. I’m not going to say I’m perfect and have no addictions whatsoever. I would admit I’m probably mentally addicted to beer to some degree. I definitely almost never crave it though, which I actually think is a little strange. Evening time rolls around, it’s just habit (or customary) to have a beer or 2 (or more depending on company or circumstances).
Same goes for people and their craving for sweets. I notice people at my work all the time just can’t keep their fingers off the sugar.

my comment was more just about ‘chocholic’ being a funny term, since ‘chocohol’ doesn’t exist.

Since you brought it up though, it seems that just about everything is addictive, largely because of dopamine.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/sa ... 54703.html

I would venture to say that dopamine is a more powerful drug than heroin, and its produced by our bodies. Chocolate, coffee, cigarettes, Doritos, and even just a little beer (http://io9.com/just-one-sip-of-beer-can … -473037919) trigger dopamine to be released.

There is a fine line between ‘need’ and ‘want’. And a habit, and a HABIT.

two

1 Like

I drink 1-2 beer almost everyday.

Me been drinking way to much. The line of work i do after work a few beers with co workers. And guests. Part of the job. Be nice to tourist. And they buy the beer. Me try to stay only to beer. At home. Maybe jack daniels. But brewing your own leads to more beer drinking. Try at home only to drink when friends or fam come over. During the brewing day. I only drink beer. Once the brew session is almost over. Dont want to make mistakes. Only part gainded about. 20 lbs. Drinking my home brews. Guess will eat little less than. Got to balance it out

It depends…sometimes I drink too much and sometimes I don’t drink enough… but if my liver had legs it would probably kick my ass.

2 Likes

So I would probably fall into the 1-3 pints/night category with a few more for good measure Friday through Sunday. Brewdays and Steelers Gamedays tend to be on the upper end of the scale (but I have learned to not crack a beer until I have the boil going and the mashtun clean and put away with the spent grains turned over throughout the compost pile, pitchforks and drinking can be dangerous :joy:). My 9 year old recently got me to try karate (Tang Soo Do) with him so my liver and my waistline will thank him for the 2-3 nights/week I no longer pour a beer. It’s way too easy with a two tap kegerator in the basement. :blush:

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

I’m slowing down a bit… And I feel sorry for all the peeps working at the big breweries… I just don’t like buying their stuff much anymore, again, sorry…. Sneezles61