Hops in a Muslim bag?

I’m new to this and the first kit I brewed the local brew shop gave me muslim bags for the hops. The second batch I brewed was a Sierra clone and I was given one bag that I used for the bitter and just threw in the finish and I’ve yet to add the dry hops. Do I need a bag for these or just throw them in the fermenter?

Muslim and muslin are very, very different things :slight_smile:

We just bought a 10 pack of muslin bags because our hop bag ripped and we need one for our plate chiller. They didn’t work great…They hauled out a little bit of hop material but definitely not all of it. If you’re not using a chiller like this I’d just say toss them in there without the bag. We did it for years. When you rack off your yeastcake either for a secondary or for bottling just leave behind a bit of liquid so you don’t suck them up.

I have never brewed a kit before so I don’t know what comes in them. I assume your one muslin bag that came with your last kit was for your dry hopping, Dry hopping is usually done in a bag so you don’t have to knock out the ton hop bits floating in it with a fining agent, although I fine anyway as there are always some hop bits even with the bag. Don’t kits come with instructions? I would think they would!

I can’t stop laughing…

I think my next beer will be called “Infidels Ale” or “Jihad Juice”

I’ll intentionally over-carb the beer I bottle too.
…Only time bottle bombs will be acceptable.

I am pretty sure you can have as many “Muslim Bags” as you want as well. Don’t forget to bottle that in 220z “Bombers”.

[quote=“Birdstop”]I am pretty sure you can have as many “Muslim Bags” as you want as well. Don’t forget to bottle that in 220z “Bombers”.[/quote][quote=“dbarton02”]I can’t stop laughing…

…Only time bottle bombs will be acceptable.[/quote]

Not funny guys. Ignorant, yes…funny, not so much.

cheers.

I think the muslin bag that comes with the kits is for steeping your specialty grains. For hops, I’d either pick up a small nylon bag with a drawstring, or pick up a paint strainer bag at a home improvement store.

Thanks Cap - the poor guy couldn’t catch a break with this crew.

Muslin

[quote=“StormyBrew”][quote=“Birdstop”]I am pretty sure you can have as many “Muslim Bags” as you want as well. Don’t forget to bottle that in 220z “Bombers”.[/quote][quote=“dbarton02”]I can’t stop laughing…

…Only time bottle bombs will be acceptable.[/quote]

Not funny guys. Ignorant, yes…funny, not so much.

cheers.[/quote]
Shame you can’t find humor in that. Life shouldn’t be taken so seriously.

I agree humor is important, but discrimination and stereotyping aren’t very funny.

Never understood the idea that thinking a particular joke is bad = lacking a sense of humor. Jokes can be bad, even if some people like them.

Now, the Muslim bag mistake made me chuckle, no offense to the OP!

Before this post gets too heated, we’re gonna need a separation of church and stout.

I agree humor is important, but discrimination and stereotyping aren’t very funny.

Never understood the idea that thinking a particular joke is bad = lacking a sense of humor. Jokes can be bad, even if some people like them.

Now, the Muslim bag mistake made me chuckle, no offense to the OP![/quote]
You’re right. I guess since I’m anti-religious all around, it’s funny to me.

I did also chuckle at the mistake of seem the subject name. Either way, seems that this thread is headed towards lock down.

I chuckled at the mistake the OP made…that was funny.

But, stereotyping muslims = infidels/bombers is no more funny than stereotyping catholics = pedifiles or southerners = rednecks/klansman or any of the other ingnorant stereotypes that we all hear at one time or another.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]But, stereotyping muslims = infidels/bombers is no more funny than stereotyping catholics = pedifiles or southerners = rednecks/klansman or any of the other ingnorant stereotypes that we all hear at one time or another.[/quote]IMO, you really ought to add “IMO” to these sort of statements - just because you don’t think they’re funny doesn’t mean that they aren’t. I’ll take a good cracker-priest-on-a-camel joke over another Jerry Seinfeld “observation” any day. :wink:

In reference to the OP - first couple of batches, I would bag the dryhops and add some stainless nuts/bolts to weigh it down and you won’t have to worry about hop debris in your autosiphon or bottling bucket.

Muslin bags are a waste. Let them hops move around and spread their love. Only time I would use one would be if I was keg hopping without a stainless tea ball. No use for them in dry hopping in a fermenter, after a week they usually fall out of suspension and you can rack off them. I would however rack to secondary if you wanted to harvest the yeast without all the extra hop mess…

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“StormyBrew”]But, stereotyping muslims = infidels/bombers is no more funny than stereotyping catholics = pedifiles or southerners = rednecks/klansman or any of the other ingnorant stereotypes that we all hear at one time or another.[/quote]IMO, you really ought to add “IMO” to these sort of statements - just because you don’t think they’re funny doesn’t mean that they aren’t. I’ll take a good cracker-priest-on-a-camel joke over another Jerry Seinfeld “observation” any day. :wink:

In reference to the OP - first couple of batches, I would bag the dryhops and add some stainless nuts/bolts to weigh it down and you won’t have to worry about hop debris in your autosiphon or bottling bucket.[/quote]

Yes, those statements were “IMO”.
did you here the one where a camel, a priest, and a cracker…? :wink:
cheers.

[quote=“StormyBrew”][quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“StormyBrew”]But, stereotyping muslims = infidels/bombers is no more funny than stereotyping catholics = pedifiles or southerners = rednecks/klansman or any of the other ingnorant stereotypes that we all hear at one time or another.[/quote]IMO, you really ought to add “IMO” to these sort of statements - just because you don’t think they’re funny doesn’t mean that they aren’t. I’ll take a good cracker-priest-on-a-camel joke over another Jerry Seinfeld “observation” any day. :wink:

In reference to the OP - first couple of batches, I would bag the dryhops and add some stainless nuts/bolts to weigh it down and you won’t have to worry about hop debris in your autosiphon or bottling bucket.[/quote]

Yes, those statements were “IMO”.
did you here the one where a camel, a priest, and a cracker…? :wink:
cheers.[/quote]

Knock, knock.

Who’s there?

Muslim bags.

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I chuckled at the mistake the OP made…that was funny.

But, stereotyping muslims = infidels/bombers is no more funny than stereotyping catholics = pedifiles or southerners = rednecks/klansman or any of the other ingnorant stereotypes that we all hear at one time or another.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers.[/quote]
You’re right, it’s not more funny than the other because they’re both funny! You can’t see the humor in our differences? Face it, people and their beliefs are just plain ODD. I mean, it’s a good thing we’re all so different, it makes life pretty interesting. But at the same time, it’s too bad many of those differences are cause for war and death. THAT is where the ignorance comes in.