Honing in the right color

So, I am trying to get a rich orange color (like Blue Moon) on this beer I have brewed twice now but for some reason it keeps coming out a light copper instead.

Here is what I am using:

Grains:
5.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb Honey malt
5 lb White Wheat
8 oz Caravienne
8 oz Munich

Other:
.5 oz Orange Bitter

Hops:
1oz Hallertau
1oz Saaz

Yeast:
1 Safale S-05

Any ideas why the color would be more copper than orange and what I can do to change that? I mean the beer tastes good so I really shouldn’t be complaining but when I entered the recipe into Brewers Friend it says I should get a darkish yellow to orange color and it really isn’t close.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Are you using the 10L or the 20L munich malt? Maybe use the dark munich or use more? That’s what will contribute the orange color to your beer.

I am using the 10L because that is all that is available at my local brewer, so you are saying I should use more?

I am using the 10L because that is all that is available at my local brewer, so you are saying I should use more?[/quote]

The 20L would probably give you a darker orange hue without changing the beer profile much. I’m not sure how much sweetness or additional malt flavor you’ll get by just adding more of the 10L.

1 lb of honey malt is waaayyyy too much IMO! Use closer to 1/4 lb of 4 oz.

I am using the 10L because that is all that is available at my local brewer, so you are saying I should use more?[/quote]

The 20L would probably give you a darker orange hue without changing the beer profile much. I’m not sure how much sweetness or additional malt flavor you’ll get by just adding more of the 10L.[/quote]

OK, maybe I will order some 20L off the Northerbrewer website and give that a run, thanks again!

Yeah I used 6 oz the first time I brewed this beer and I didnt get enough honey flavor and I like a sweeter summer beer so I rolled the dice with 1lb, it might be too much but I will find out once it is carbonated but tasting it uncarbonated it doesnt taste too sweet.

Yeah I used 6 oz the first time I brewed this beer and I didnt get enough honey flavor and I like a sweeter summer beer so I rolled the dice with 1lb, it might be too much but I will find out once it is carbonated but tasting it uncarbonated it doesnt taste too sweet.[/quote]

Everyone’s tastes are different but once a beer is carbed it will usually taste drier not sweeter so you should be ok. I used 0.5lb of honey malt in an IPA and it was almost undrinkable but this was due to the honey malt in addition to being under-attenuated.

As far as color, the darker munich should help. I personally wouldn’t add anymore caramel malts as that beer already looks way to sweet for me. Maybe if you dial back the honey and replace it with a little bit of C60 that would help darken it up a bit.