Hey keggers, what's the optimum number of

taps? I’m thinking 2 or 3.

My 8.8cf chest freezer will do double duty as kegerator and fermentation chamber for lagers, so I’m thinking 1 carboy plus 2-3 cornies and CO2 in the freezer at all times.

Doable do?

:cheers:

I recommend 3. To me the 3rd beer makes all of the difference.

I run three. Could go up to five. but with three, I still have room for one carboy to chill,cold condition, and/or lager.

So I think I will be sticking to three.

you can always have one more than your distributor if you have just one line going to your distributor.
I bought a 3 way distributor and then have a Y splitter to throw on for a fourth keg if I need it

My kegerator has two faucets on the tower but the fridge is big enough for 3 kegs so I put a picnic tap on that one. I have a conditioning fridge in the basement with a 15# tank and since I’m impatient I put picnic taps on those kegs as well. So I can serve 5 beers at a time right now. I think 8 would be even better… :smiley:

I rock 4 taps and can hold 5 kegs although I usually have only 3 up and running (and currently have NOTHING on tap - WHINE!!!)

I have 3 taps on the kegerator, but a 4th is inside with a picnic tap.

Then I have my “on deck” and “finish up” fridge that will hold 4 kegs and I juggle a few picnic taps amongst those as well. Just to check carbonation and aging qualities :wink:

1 more. :cheers:

True story. I have six and frequently wish I could tap something else.

I’d at least plan to have room for as many faucets as kegs. I don’t know exactly how many an 8.8 cu ft will hold, but I’d guess 4-5.

• 1 on the 3rd tap.

The only issues I run into when using my chest freezer, is temperature set point. If set it to ferment lager at say 55 degrees, then my kegs get too warm. I like my beer served cooler than 55.

[quote=“billy2006”]+ 1 on the 3rd tap.

The only issues I run into when using my chest freezer, is temperature set point. If set it to ferment lager at say 55 degrees, then my kegs get too warm. I like my beer served cooler than 55.[/quote]

Well, now you’re talking about optimum number of freezers. For me, also three. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I recommend 3. To me the 3rd beer makes all of the difference.[/quote]I’ll second that! 3 makes for a good variety and you’re also able to drink them fast enough before they’re past their prime.

5 kegs, 4 taps. Where’s The Tooth at? He has 12 or 15.

I have 6 taps and can hold 8 kegs. I also have a seperate lagering fridge that can hold 4 kegs and she has a single tap on her. 5 seems like a good number, I wouldn’t want less than 3, but for many years I had only 1.

We run a three keg system in our cooler and it is perfect for us. The catch is that there are three people sharing all the kegs plus our friends who periodically drink some so they tend to run out quickly and we are constantly brewing to keep up with demand. That said I think having at a minimum three on tap at a time provides a decent selection if you time your brewing right.

On that note, I recommend having at least one session beer on tap at all times. Right now we have three beers all around 6.5-7% and it’s dangerous.

Awesome advice.

And the winner is: 3 +1 picnic using 4-distributor.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]Awesome advice.

And the winner is: 3 +1 picnic using 4-distributor.

:cheers: [/quote]

you could actually have 5 if you put a y splitter on the regulator, one line going to distributor and one going to the extra keg

Words of wisdom right there!

Words of wisdom right there![/quote]

Actually, I’ve always had a session beer in the bottle-lineup. Will do same for keg. My new fav is NB’s Innkeeper Ale which I’ll prolly be brewing this upcoming weekend.

I actually just picked up the Innkeeper just yesterday; it’s really a great beer if I remember right from a few years ago