Grapes from your garden

Just pick this group of grapes… Marquette red… They’ll be turned into jelly…maybe ferment some of the juice…
Sneezles61

6 Likes

Look like the wild grape down here …muscadine.

We might dip below freezing the next 3 nights… Then the concords might become sweet… Right now, you’d need a boat load of sugar… Not for me…
Sneezles61

Nice

I see a chance to collect wild yeast and bacteria and play a little before making jelly. :grinning:

I didn’t clean up much right now…
I’m not sure the “wild side” is where I’ll go…
Just kinda got a nice trail of fermentables I enjoy… BUT…
When this bug stuff gets behind us, we’ll do a beer-cation to the brewery that keeps you so busy… AND. Looking to Loopies beer joint… That’d be cool
Sneezles61

That would be cool. I myself need to go see Loopie and the brewery sometime.

1 Like

You could introduce my taste buds to the wild side then…
Sneezles61

When making jelly/lam… use pectin or gelatin?
Sneezles61

Gonna tinker with grapes and making jelly today… I’ll convert all my measurements to Liter stuff… What little bit Ive been messing with that… The metric system sure is easier to play with when altering the quantities…
Sneezles61
Edit:
250 ml juice
400 ml sugar
20 ml pectin (liquid)
This is my starting point… Not a fan of THAT much sugar… just over 4- 4oz jars… if this sets up good, the next time I’ll reduce sugar to 300 ml…

Time to re-vive this… but now more curious about training grapes… Alot of info sez to cut them back in the winter… then there a few that question “old practices”… Which I just did today… Trimmed back my Marquette grapes… trying to get to the espalier style…
Any one have any ideas? I hope I won’t be looking for new grape vines next year…
Sneezles61

If your growing wine grapes. From what ive been told at the winery is 90% of the vine is cut off. You save 2 healthy leaders for the next season. I’ll find the link

https://grapes.extension.org/cane-pruning/

Very informative! Thank you…
Sneezles61

jelly, awesome! I myself need to try this once

My grapes are getting some color now… You know, I haven’t even looked at the Concord grapes… I’ll need to take some time and see…
Sneezles61

My Mother-in-law made grape jelly and somehow it fermented slightly… it was the best jelly I ever had.

You would probably like my wild apple whiskey jelly recipe it won honorable mention in Adirondack Life magazine

2 Likes

Sounds delicious

FROST last night!! I tasted a couple grapes… Perhaps, the frost doesn’t do what a freeze does for sugar?
Sneezles61