Grapes from your garden

I think frost does improve the sugar content, temperatures in that range in general. Certainly with citrus, back when we actually could grow citrus here in Florida :disappointed:, a freeze was devastating; a light frost was actually good for the citrus crop flavor…

1 Like

So… we are getting warmer… and you are getting cooler down there?
We are a bit ahead of the “average” frost date… Another frost again last night… I may need to pick this W/E… I’ll pick up some wine yeast today…
Sneezles61

Well my Riesling grapes obviously none this year. The wild Concord grapes are tiny. I need to cut them back. Not sure about making wine with Concord grapes but maybe use them to add astringency to cider

We have a small bunch of concords growing in the back… That are way up in the pines… with a good amount of fruit… I suppose I should pull them down… and get them tamed and trimmed…
Many centuries ago, I made, what amounted to 3 gallons of wine from them… turned out at 14%!!
Did I ever tell about my purple gloves from that episode? You should really wear gloves if you like to break the skins open… I mean really…
Sneezles61

I will wear plastic bags on my feet

1 Like

Then yer making… “Jam”? :joy:
Sneezles61

My Marquette grape vines are really loaded this year….
The concord have 5 grape… berries?
Sneezles61

Hard frost last night… picking grapes today…. The tub is full and a few mores bunches left to pick… I’ll need to clean up the garage and start juicing them…. A fella that makes wine at the St Croix Château told me leaving the Marquettes with the skins on is were they pick up the very strong flavor… we’ll see…
Sneezles61

Now to pull stems, dead and green ones out…

2 Likes