Grain mill

Just got a mill. Any suggestions on setting the gap. I’ve seen online 0.36 of an inch. Is that a good starting spot?

Learn what a good crush looks like and go by that, not a gap.

In addition what gap/crush works best for your system and gives you the best efficiency.

Crush till your scared of stuck mash, add rice hulls if you get stuck.

.39 or .40

It should be set to this or close out of the box.

i started at .036 then went to .032 but i didnt get any bump in eff. i get right around 75%.

Thanks I will keep an eye on the efficiency and adjust from there.

I run at .032 and get around 75% batch sparging too.

I run at about 0.026".

I believe your crush is going to be dependent on more than just your gap setting. Its also going to be influenced on the speed of your rollers. Mine, for example, are driven by a high-torque, low RPM motor, and so my crush may be different than those with a similar gap and running on a higher RPM drill.

Thanks. I’m use a drill on low speed for now. I would like to set it up with a motor and belt

[quote=“Silentknyght”]
I believe your crush is going to be dependent on more than just your gap setting. Its also going to be influenced on the speed of your rollers. [/quote]
This is absolutely correct. You have to experiment with your milling “system” until you achieve a good crush.

Higher speeds can cause the rollers to tear the grain. I try to go reasonably slow and sometimes double crush…seems to help with efficiency

There is very demand of new recipe everywhere. Sometimes different taste and food is bringing out for various purposes. Grain milk grinder is one of them.