Grain mill setting

I’m still playing with efficiency somewhat. My experiments thus far are really not conclusive, and I’m beginning to think maybe high efficiency is not such a terrible thing after all. But, odds remain 50/50 either way. I no longer have very strong opinions of high vs. low efficiency. Bottom line is that consistency is far more important than whatever the average efficiency number is. Getting 60% efficiency consistently? Great. 90%? Well aren’t you special. Somewhere in between? No worries. As long as it’s consistent. If not consistent… try to find out why, and then fix it.

1 Like

I’ve read commercial brewers get 90 or better. Some of them make good beer. I’m getting mid 80 consistently by crushing .025 and doing Biab. With my tun I crushed no tighter that .030 and got mid 70. I’ve made the same beers both ways scaled for efficiency and I can’t tell the difference. But I’m not a trained tasted either. Like @dmtaylo2 says it’s consistency that maters. I guess it I were brewing kits I would have to change something since I think kits are assuming 65% I’ve heard

1 Like

Well I’m glad I read this post. Brewing on the weekend and I just set my mill to .040. I don’t want to pulverize my grain but a few of you are set at .025. Maybe I will try .030.

Brent

Good. Must start at 0.030. Or less if you’re brave enough. Nobody does 0.040, that’s way too wide.

1 Like

If you already crushed it at .040 you can crush it again at the lower setting shouldn’t hurt anything

I haven’t crushed anything yet. I will set it tonight. Thanks

For reference, NB kits are factored for 70% efficiency. I get around 75% on my system, but have never made any adjustments to the grain bill to accommodate for that. Once I got my mill set to where I hit 75%, I haven’t touched it since. Typically my OG is slightly higher than the target from the recipe but I’m not too bothered by that. I don’t have a gauge or anything to check the gap but I use the captain Crush and the top roller is set to the third mark from smallest and the bottom roller is set at the second from the smallest.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Did start a small batch at 0.030. And later on a 0 025. Batch. For my wit bier. Did crush pilsner at 0 030. My wheat rye at 0.025. Seems to work