Frequent liquid post leaks

Does anyone else have this problem? Just tapped a fresh keg a few hours ago and now i have a keezer floor covered in beer. Replaced the liquid post oring after the last cleaning. This is maybe the fourth time this has happened since November.

Maybe I’m not pushing the liquid disconnect down hard enough (ball lock) onto the post?

Check your post o-rings. It also might help to use some food grade lube on the o rings

totally agree with the lube on o-ring seal,

I know you said you’ve replaced your o-rings, but if you’re gonna’ do some troubleshooting, when you have the liquid post off, see if there might be a burr on the o-ring sealing face to the post itself, or a piece of debris that could be lodged in between the two, ( hops, yeast chunk or the like).

If there is a burr internal on the post, you could pick up a countersink bit at the home improvement store, and use it on the inside of the post BY HAND, ( unless you have a good feel for such chucked up in a drill!), and use that to remove the burr and “square up” the sealing surface.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Addition: I think the countersink bits you’ll find at the home improvement place will be of the 60 degree variety…You’ll have to “eye…” it to see if that angle will do what you need if there is a burr.
They are also made in an 82 degree and 100 degree variety.

Is it coming from the keg connection? Could also be the QD. If it’s a picnic tap it could be the serving end too.

Good points!
I didn’t think to ask if it leaked “standing alone”, with nothing attached.

Sorry, I should have specified that it’s coming from the liquid post. O-rings are new. This morning I lubed the o-rings to see if that makes a difference. Will have to confirm later whether it worked.

Take apart the QD and see if anything is stuck in there or if the O-ring at the top is crimped.

I didn’t realize you can disassemble the QD’s. Will give that a shot if it’s still leaking after I hook it back up. Thanks.

There’s a slot on the top. Use a straight screwdriver to unscrw the top. Inside there is an O-ring at the top. Then a spring. And at the bottom a sort of “poppet” that closes the opening on the bottom.

The only thing I’ve ever done with the liquid QDs are: Check the poppet for leakage, change the O-rings on a routine basis, and I also wash the QD and sanitize them (StarSan) on a routine basis . Nothing against the brewers who do but I just don’t see the reason to use food grade lube. :cheers:

if the conection does not seal an easy quick fix somtimes is to try a little lube. I always try the easy fix first.

It helps to keep O-rings and seals pliable. Prolongs their life and creates a better seal. :cheers:

[quote=“mrv”]
It helps to keep O-rings and seals pliable. Prolongs their life and creates a better seal. :cheers: [/quote]

+1

Most o-ring systems are designed to work with lube to aid the deformation of the rings to make the seal, and our keg systems are no different. Add a less than perfect condition anywhere and a dry o-ring can refuse to seal. Also without lube you are damaging the o-ring every time you place or remove the disconnect, shortening its life.

I’ve also seen that the screw tops of the disconnects can be loose enough to allow them to leak out the top seal. Usually happens when folks take them apart to clean them and forget to tighten them properly after finger-tight assembly. Done that myself :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dean Palmer”][quote=“mrv”]
It helps to keep O-rings and seals pliable. Prolongs their life and creates a better seal. :cheers: [/quote]

+1

Most o-ring systems are designed to work with lube to aid the deformation of the rings to make the seal, and our keg systems are no different. Add a less than perfect condition anywhere and a dry o-ring can refuse to seal. Also without lube you are damaging the o-ring every time you place or remove the disconnect, shortening its life.

I’ve also seen that the screw tops of the disconnects can be loose enough to allow them to leak out the top seal. Usually happens when folks take them apart to clean them and forget to tighten them properly after finger-tight assembly. Done that myself :slight_smile: [/quote]

I’ve washed the inner washer down the drain. Didn’t notice until I tapped the keg. :oops:

Finally got a chance to test out the connection last night. Just adding lube in this case did not solve the problem, but I plan to use it religiously from now on anyway since it’s cheap and easy.

Turns out the problem was the liquid dip tube o-ring. I thought I had replaced it before tapping originally, but I guess I didn’t.

Well, it’s happening again. Not sure if it’s the same keg. I’ve replaced everything but the poppet, o-rings are lubed and I double-checked that everything is secure. This is very frustrating.

The poppet shouldn’t matter if your post disconnect is on and the rings seal. As suggested earlier, did you check to make sure your seal is still there for the screw out part on top of the disconnect? Have you tried the post connection on a different keg?

When a disconnect is attached, the poppet is depressed anyway from pressure inside the keg, right? That’s why I didn’t bother replacing it.

I took the disconnect directly off another keg that was not leaking and attached it to this one. I’ve tried multiple disconnects with the same outcome. Yes, the seals are in place on the disconnects and the screw on part is on tight.

The keg only leaks when a disconnect is attached.

Its gotta be the seal between the disconnect and the post i.e. the o ring. Did you get your o rings from a place specifically for keg posts? Maybe they aren’t the right size (thickness).