Fishing line keg dry hopping

Those of you who have used fishing line to tie off your keg dry hops and hand from the lid (besides the special welded lid) how are you doing this?
I tried to run the line under the racetrack o-ring and over it to hang, both times the lid leaked on 2 different kegs too. I tried extra keg lube on the 0-ring, pennies under the lid legs to force more pressure and nothing seems to work.

I think dental floss would work better, as it is flat.

Personnaly I just tie the hop bag to the dip tube near the top, no issues yet.

I Had that problem one time i tried it too i think the line i had was heavy test line and may have been too thick i cant remember though. i ended up finding some plain dental floss the kind that was flat and it sealed.

Try teflon pipe tape. Super flat and tough.

I also tie the monofilament to the top of the diptube.

Dennys method would work I’m sure, but I also like the Teflon tape placed flat against the keg lid opening with the excess wrapped around one of the rubber handles for easy suspension while I’m still racking, sanitizing etc. prior to securing the lid.

I just put a small hose clamp around the pressure release valve casing under the lid and hang the bag from the notches in the clamp. Nothing goes through the O-ring.

I also use dental floss, make sure it’s not mint. Just tie it to the post, haven’t had an issue with it leaking

[quote=“brwrboy69”]I just put a small hose clamp around the pressure release valve casing under the lid and hang the bag from the notches in the clamp. Nothing goes through the O-ring.

[/quote]

I like this idea. I may start doing this, as sometimes it can be a pain to tie a line to the dip tube.

Why do we need string to hold the bag? I have just been tossing mine in the keg without any sort of string.

I some cases it can sink to the bottom and clog the dip tube forcing you to open the keg and go fishing.

I some cases it can sink to the bottom and clog the dip tube forcing you to open the keg and go fishing.[/quote]

Makes sense, I guess I have been lucky so far

Not only “would” it work, I just used that method when I kegged a rye IPA since I posted it a few hours ago!

[quote=“brwrboy69”]I just put a small hose clamp around the pressure release valve casing under the lid and hang the bag from the notches in the clamp. Nothing goes through the O-ring.

[/quote]

Good idea, but most of my kegs are flat on the bottom of the lid.

If you suspend it in the keg, depending on how fast you drink it, it won’t be dryhopped as long. If you carb for a week and drink 1/4 of the keg in another week, the hops might only touch the beer for 2 weeks.

i just leave the bag in the keg. I use a nylon bag with leaf hops, no problems ever. If I am really concerned about clarity and contact time, I do a keg to keg transfer once the dry hopping is exactly where I want it.

I have use a Stainless Hop Steeper

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... eeper.html

I have just let it sit on the bottom and that has worked great. I have also connected it to a new sanitized fishing bobber and that worked too.

Floss worked perfect! 15 gallons kegged today.Now when the dentist asks if I have used floss I can say yes! Lol

Thanks

+1 on the teflon tape!

I like both the teflon tape and hose clamp ideas.

A question: I usually dry hop in the secondary then transfer to the keg after a week. So do you guys open the keg to remove the hop bag or just suspend it close to the top of the keg and “remove” the beer under it as you drink the keg to limit contact time with the hops?