First time using Cereal Killer

Finally got around to using my Cereal Killer grain mill. Hooked up my cordless drill and powered through 11.5 lbs of grains in no time. Thing worked really well. I messed with the gap a little it’s set about .035". Hoping this looks pretty good for BIAB.

1 Like

Looks good… Brew with it yet? Sneezles61

I’d say keep track of your efficiency for a while. It may be voodoo but I’m double grinding for my BIAB. It’s also taken to rice hulls and a light sparge.

For many BIABers .035” is pretty wide. For BIAB you can get away with a tighter crush. Of course this is stystem dependant so pay attention to how your batches come out.

1 Like

We do .030 for non-BIAB. Seems to work okay with no stuck sparges so far.

1 Like

I crush my biab around .040 and still get around 80 percent efficiency for the most part. Might just be my mill. I use the monster m3 and it shreds and crushes at that gap. I think the most important aspect of biab, from my experience, is after you are done mashing, heat the mash to 170 degrees while continuously stirring and then let it rest at 170 for 10 minutes. I failed to do this once and lost almost 10 gravity points. It helps to rinse the sugars from the grain and is a must do on my brew days

1 Like

Thats as I do also. My JSP malt mill isn’t adjustable… I’ve not taken a set of feeler gauges to it to see what its set at… Sneezles61

That’s impressive. My efficiency drops way off wider than .030

My cereal killer is set to .032 for BIAB recipes designed to 80%. Tighter my efficiency was ridiculous. I also do a sparge so YMMV.

Never had the need to check my JSP either. It’s helped make beer for a lot of years.

2 Likes

JSP here to, but adjustable. Best mill I’ve ever owned. Easily adjustable and never drifts. Quality made. Glad I got one as it appears they are no longer made.