Hello fellow brewers. Well I started today. Brewed my wort, and filled the Big Mouth Bubbler! Got my kit a week ago. Doing the Red Irish Ale. Wish me luck!!!
Now it is only temperature control and not trying to rush it along to the bottle…
Congratulations and welcome!
Many first-time brewers ask the same questions, so let me try to be proactive…
- No, It’s not infected.
- Yes, Lag time is normal, keep waiting.
- Seriously, keep waiting.
- It’s probably OK, but next time, cool the wort more before pitching the yeast,
- Better temperature control during fermentation makes better beer.
All kidding aside. Welcome to the best hobby ever; where you end up with more beer after hobby time than before hobby time.
This is a great forum for getting any questions answered. Don’t be afraid to ask.
Hah… I’ll add “Secondary? It’s complicated…”
It will happen be patient
Welcome to the obsession! Like others say don’t be afraid to ask questions here. This is great forum and I have learned much from it. Did my first brew 02/09/16 and 9 more since then. This is also a just a great place to research problems or questions.
Thanks alot!! I was actually lucky, started getting slow bubbles in the air lock within hours. This morning I have a thick Krausen and fast bubbles YaY…
So my fermentation started in 3 hours (last Sunday). I had a good Krausen the next day. Now (Wednesday) all of the Krausen has fallen and no more activity in the airlock. Should I let sit for a full week? Or do I want to rack to Secondary right away?
If it were my beer I would keep it in the primary for about three weeks for the beer to clear and be ready for bottling. I don’t use a secondary anymore. I check SG about day 10 to 14 and again a few days later to confirm FG.
No need to worry about off flavors with that short of time on the yeast/trub layer.
The only option I would strongly recommend against would be doing anything to it right now. Even if bubbling in the airlock slows and the krausen falls, yeast can still be working slowly. I would:
If you can, take a gravity reading with a hydrometer and record it. Then, after a few days, take another hydrometer reading. If they’re the same, the yeast is done.
If you have no hydrometer, leave it be in primary for a while. For ale yeasts, with no hydrometer, three weeks is usually a pretty safe amount of time to wait to be sure fermentation is done. Bottle after three weeks.
If you want to secondary (you might get clearer beer- depends on who you ask), transfer to secondary when the yeast is done (identical hydrometer readings, or three weeks). Wait for a week or two, then bottle.
Copy that. I do have a Hydro. I will check.
Don’t forget to sanitize everything you plan to touch the beer with!
Copy That, I got 32 oz. of StarSan and I’m not afraid to use it.
Star San solution can be reused as long as the pH remains at 3.0 or lower, unless you fill it with visible crud. Don’t get it dirty and definitely don’t throw it out after a single use. I tend to spray a lot but have Sta San solution in gallon jugs for months. The solution will turn cloudy when mixed with clean water that has minerals in it. Being cloudy doesn’t change the pH though.
Yes, I read up on that, but thanks for looking out for me!! By the way, FYI, my pic is my Mini Doberman. “Baron Von Reinhardt” He’s my brewing buddy.
By his face and posture looks like he has a question. Don’t let him taste any of the hops. Poison to dogs.
Ha Ha Ha, He’s a pistol. Thanks for the heads up on Hops. Did not know that.
Like I said…
So, I just got a heat blanket and a control. I have the stainless tube to allow the temp probe to be in the middle of the beer. My question is what temp.? I’m using the dry yeast. The info says 57 - 70 deg F. I’m at 65 deg F. I know I’m in the range. But now that I can specify a temp and hold it. Is it better lower or higher? and why?
Most will agree that best practice is to keep to the low end of the optimal range for a cleaner fermentation. Having said that I wouldn’t try to lower the temperature more than a degree or 2 once fermentation has started. You’d risk stalling it or stressing the yeast.