Expired kits

So I was given four all grain kits and they expired dec 2016. Everything is sealed in the box, and I was gonna try it but do you think it’ll be bad? Yeast I’m guessing probably needs to be replaced?

Is it dry yeast if so you might be good. Just hydrate first. But best thing look on the back side of the package what the date says when in doubt. Just buy new one. Did they kept the bèer kit into the fridge

Yes it’s dry yeast and it also expired. I’ll just get some new packs. Grain should be okay though?

Was the grain pre-crushed or is it whole? As long as it was kept sealed and dry, whole grain is fine. Crushed grain will be toast. I’d use the dry yeast, it should be fine. Hops will have lost some of their aroma and flavor, so you might want to get fresh hops if the kit is hop forward. Otherwise they should be ok for bittering.

Pre crushed and unopened, so basically these kits are worthless lol? I got four free ones. So I guess no loss on them

You can chew on a couple of grains to see how they taste, but generally crushed grain is only good for a few weeks before it starts to stale. I wouldn’t count on it. Dry yeast is almost certainly fine. I’d use it, but have an extra pack on hand in case. Hops would be best if they were frozen, but they’ll be ok as long as they maintained their seal. Not in peak condition, but I’ve used worse. I wouldn’t use them for a really hop-forward IPA, but maybe decent as a 30-minute addition and should be just fine as a 60 minute addition. But yeah, it’s probably good you got them for free. The wild critters will love the grain, though!

2 Likes

I’d just brew it and see what You get. Not going to cost you anything. Mash low and maybe nothing grain forward. Something spices. Might be a good time to experiment with a sour.

1 Like

I agree with @brew_cat Why not try one? All there is to lose in some water, whatever you heat with and your time. Might even be a good experiment for us all to know how it came out.

Dry yeast seems to be somewhat indestructible. A starter could work to see if it’s still good and can’t hurt. A can of Fast Pitch would make short work out of it.

Alright I’m doin it! I’ll keep you updated

2 Likes

Just an update. I brewed the Pecan Pie Amber Ale last night and everything went pretty standard, I came out with significantly less than a gallon but according to the instructions I can add tap water to be to the gallon line. So this is an Amber Ale but it’s really looking blonde right now it’s got a light orange yellow color to it. I checked back this morning to see if the yeast actually worked, being expired and what not, and it was bubbling away. Pretty decent Krausen on top. It’s crazy cloudy but I’m sure it’ll die down. Eager to see if this actually becomes Amber colored or what

1 Like

It might after the yeast mix everything up.

Just an update, everything went fine for fermentation and the color looked like an Amber Ale. Bottled it up Friday night and got 9 bottles. Excited to try this in a few weeks

1 Like

New update. Finally tried it out and tastes pretty good, nothing weird about it. It’s a tad too carbonated I feel, it has a lighter Amber color. Doesn’t have a pecan pie flavor as the beer is named but I’m going to let it sit and age in the fridge for a bit to see if flavors mature at all. Any suggestions?

Let it sit in your glass for a bit to balance out the carbonation.