Dry Irish Stout - High OG

Just pitched the yeast on a 5-gal batch of NB’s Dry Irish Stout. Instructions say ~1.042 OG. After thinning down a bit, I ended up with 5.7 gal at 1.048. Was my efficiency really high, or did NB ship me too much grain?

I doubt they shipped too much, but it’s alway possible. Is your hydrometer calibrated properly? Did you adjust the reading for its temperature at the time of the reading? both could impact the value.

:cheers:

I did adjust for temp. Not sure about the calibration. I guess I always assumed accuracy given the simplicity of the device. I can say that I’ve never been nearly that far over before.

should be 1.000 at 60F in water. prolly best to use distilled, but i doubt tap would be that far off.

If they sent too much, your mash would have been much “thicker” than you’d have expected as you wouldn’t have had the actual water/grain ratio you’d planed for. was that the case?

:cheers:

I just brewed the same grain bill this weekend and ended up with a pre boil gravity of 1.043 with just over 6.5 gallons. I have never had an efficiency like that before (about 92%). Maybe the flaked barley? Anyone have an idea on this?

There must be something with that kit. If my calculations are correct, I wouldv’e had to dilute to 6.25 gallons to get down to 1.043 OG.

I just did the Dry irish stout kit with a OG of 1.053 the temp was 95 degrees how far am I off.This is my first all grain ended up with about 5 gallons.Did measure my ph pre boil at 5.09.Added some burton salts to duplicate Dublin water.The kit says 1.043 will the temp change it that much?