Dry Irish Stout - all grain

High my name is Jeff I am new to these boards, but not Brewing
This is the first time ordering from Northern Brewer and I must say excellent shipping and I am very please so far.

New Year’s Eve during the day, I will be brewing some Irish Stout from the all grain kit, I was wondering if anyone has tried souring a class of beer boiling it and adding it to the secondary to give it that Guinness byte.

Also will be experimenting a little with my Dad’s selection of items he is bringing up.

He wants to be creative with this one.
3lbs Briess CBW Golden Light on hand
Cascade hops on hand
1lb honey on hand
Standard brewer’s yeast

[quote=“selair”]Here is what I managed to pull together after many a try. She is a thing of beauty!
As far as the infected wort addition at the end, it is a must for this recipe. The details are below. Just take about 1/2L of Guinness (1 tall can). Mix in about an ounce of grain to it in a container. Cover it in a nice warm place out of the light and let sit for about 1 week. You can do this after you brew the beer. You add the soured beer before bottling/kegging. Before you add it, strain out all of the solids that you can. It stinks to high hell, and I was more than skeptical when I first tried it. Then boil just the beer for fifteen minutes. This kills everything. Then add it to the fermented beer and bottle/keg. It gives the distinctive twang of Guinness. It is the biggest leap of faith you will take in brewing beer to throw that in there…but it is worth it.

Selair’s Irish Extra Stout (Guinness Clone)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.2

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.52 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.2 % (Yep believe it or not. Pilsner is the way to go with this one)
1.23 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 13.9 %
1.15 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 12.9 %
1.65 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (60 min) Hops 26.0 IBU
0.48 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.60%] (60 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
0.21 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.23 l Soured Stout (Secondary 1.0 days) See directions below*
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs Activator Pack #1084) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Bitterness: 34.2 IBU
Calories: 424 cal/l
Est Color: 28.1 SRM

Mash Profile

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 10.25 L of water at 164.0 F 152.0 F 60 min Step Add 5.05 L of water at 212.0 F 170.0 F 40 min

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Notes

Ferment at 62 degrees for 14 days to allow for dryness to develop. Higher temps cause sweetness and fruitiness. Add soured stout (1.5L Guinness allowed to infect with a handful of grain for 2 weeks, strained then boiled for 10-15 mins) after fermentation is complete along with a pack of gelatin and polyclar. Gleatin and polyclar make the beer clear so that nitrogen diffusion plate does not clog. Allow to sit for one week. Carbonate to 1.9 volumes with co2, then put on Nitrogen at 19 psi.

Voila! Guinness.

[/quote]

I am planning on brewing a Guinness clone soon and was going to ask the same question.

I am confused, in the top of the write up it says to use 1/2 liter Guinness to sour but at the bottom it says 1-1/2 liter. I had always heard 3% souring so I assume the 1/2 liter is correct for a 5 gallon batch, but would like to confirm.

Sounds Interesting. I have found that the WLP 004 Irish Ale yeast gives some of the twang on its own. I just brewed my first stout and was happy find enough of this flavor for my tastes.

Just from my own experience, I would add that >10% roasted barley has not worked well for me in this beer. In a 6 gallon batch I’ve gone to using .5 lb roasted barley and .25 lb carafa special II. 1lb roasted barley gave me much more roast than any of the 3 common dry stouts. However, I’m making a drier beer that finishes below 1.010 and using 1056 instead of 1084 which probably does soften the roast slightly.