Do I need to grow a beard to homebrew?

[quote=“dobe12”]I wonder if I shaved my beard off would I lose the desire to brew[/quote]Actually, you’d start making better beer and more of it. :wink:

I wonder if a beard can be used in place of a yeast stick for passing yeast between batches…

grow the beard!!!

you should see the hipsters where i’m from (portland) :lol:

I stay pretty much clean shaven. Does a pony tail count?

I work for a poultry company. I can stop by one of the processing plants and steal some beard hair nets for everyone.

OK, that is just gross

Beard or no beard is not so important. As long as you’re not wearing pants, should be OK

A full beard is not required but you need to at least have some stubble showing on brew days or your efficiency will drop by 15%. Clean shaven faces make the grain nervous. :smiley:

For the record, I couldn’t grow a real beard is my life depended on it. My 18 year old son, on the other hand, has no trouble at all.

Paul

It will do in a pinch. I started my beard back in December when I realized most pro brewers had facial hair.

A pony tail does count…if it is growing off your face

I used to grow a beard for hunting season every year, and like 5 years ago I decided that the not shaving thing was working out pretty well for me so I stuck with it. I never knew it would come in so useful for when I started homebrewing.

For those of you who can’t grow a proper beard, you could always save your manscape trimmings and glue those to your face on brewday. You aught to be able to tweak a few extra percent brewhouse efficiency with that…

And if your beard has some grey in it, that’s bonus…

Great Topic! My wife pointed out that to fit in with the customers at the St. Paul NB I needed a beard. I typically grow one in the winter months but hadn’t for a couple of years. This year I let it grow and wear it proudly.

I’m not a hipster by any stretch, but I haven’t seen my naked upper lip since 1983. The same holds true for my chin, except for a few years in the '90s when I worked at a company where beards weren’t allowed because we often had to wear respirators, and a few weeks here and there where I’ve done some project work that required respiratory protection.

Required for brewing? I don’t think so. Most of the brewers in our club don’t sport a beard.

I’m growing my moustache out. i expect a massive improvement in my beers :lol:

I bet you’ll get best results if you go with the “handlebar.”

Where do you all rate on this? http://laughingsquid.com/the-trustworthiness-of-beards/

I’m sportin’ the goatee + mustache (aka, “Van Dyke”)

With my long hair… I’d go for something between short full beard and a werewolf.

[quote]Where do you all rate on this? http://laughingsquid.com/the-trustworthiness-of-beards/

I’m sportin’ the goatee + mustache (aka, “Van Dyke”)[/quote]

Well I guess I’m trustworthy because I’m sporting the “Full Beard”