Do I need to grow a beard to homebrew?

Facial hair required…

Coinciding with playoff hockey is a great “two birds with one stone” approach!

I cant grow a beard. So Ive got no choice. I grow a good mustache though. Damn genes.

I’ve found that a strand or five of beard hair floating down into the wort is a crucial beer ingredient. I stand above the boil and rub my chin thoughtfully, just to be sure. I don’t think dog hair is quite as important but I’m pretty sure a few of those make it in there, too. Everybody pitches in on brew day…

brewing beer seems to attract the non conformity type so lots of facial hair does make sense in this hobby. I have met so many brewers over the years and they all seem to be characters. and yeah, I have sported facial hair for over 30 years.

Does a goatee count?

I say no. Do you remember what happened to Goober when he grew that beard? You don’t want to be that guy.

I didn’t know you could grow facial hair, Dmitri! Still go long hair on your head though?

I pretty much have some kind of facial hair all the time, it’s always changing monthly usually. Had a beard for a lot of winter, and it was REALLY nice not shaving, I almost want to keep it year round. But it gets too hot in the summer here in Iowa for beards, especially when you’re active like I am.[/quote]

I may not want to grow an epic stache, like some, but the beard grows like there is no tomorrow. It’s blonde in front and dark on the sides lol. And yes, hair reaching my chest now.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Facial hair required…

Coinciding with playoff hockey is a great “two birds with one stone” approach![/quote]

Amazing what that 9-0-1 run did for the Stars, isnt it? I’m a Sabres fan living in Dallas, which absolutely sucks. Wife is a Stars fan. Makes for some good arguments :slight_smile:

Don’t fear the beard. I’ve had one ever since I retired from the Navy 15 years ago.

Paul

yes!

I have had a beard since college, several years before I started brewing. I don’t know that it helps with the brewing but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt :wink: . Besides, some of us can’t grow hair on our heads so the beard is the only option.

When I grew the beard originally it was only a winter time thing for a couple of years but then it became a year round affair. I just hate shaving every day and it doesn’t hurt that the wife tells me I’m not allowed to shave it off. I lived in Iowa for a couple of years and thought about shaving it off in the summer but desided to just keep it trimmed a little shorter when it’s hot out and grow it out in the winter.

I feel your pain, I’m also a relocated Sabres fan now living in Rangers and Islanders territory.

I have a beard out of laziness and “time management”. I have more time to brew. At least that is how I have convinced myself.

ps. Even though I’m not a hockey fan I know that Norm still sucks. :slight_smile: Some may consider it our Alamo.

VK

I think a “Hipster” is more likely to be a home brewer, and a “Hipster” is more likely to have a beard. Also the brewing community as a whole seems to be more down to earth, outdoorsy, or other type of person that would be more likely to have a beard.

I think that it is definitely a great idea to grow one. The steam from the boil gets into the beard and stays. Allowing you to smell it for quite some time.

[quote=“Taypo”][quote=“mvsawyer”]Facial hair required…

Coinciding with playoff hockey is a great “two birds with one stone” approach![/quote]

I’m a Sabres fan living in Dallas, which absolutely sucks. Wife is a Stars fan. Makes for some good arguments :slight_smile: [/quote]
I bet your neighborhood Stars fan will never let you live down the “no goal” by Brett Hull in '99. By the way, how’d you like that Hull goal in triple overtime in game six? :evil:

Make that 10-0-1 run :smiley: Another game tonight!

Oh dude you should see the brewer community of New York City… Hipster would be an understatement for about a third or half of us. I’ve seen guys who look like they just used a time machine and came here straight from Woodtock. I bought carboy from Craigslist from a guy who… just take my word for it.
The other half of us are just your average working people - chefs, scientists, professors, teachers, designers, bakers, carpenters, and so on. Beardless brewers are more numerous though from what I’ve seen.

[quote=“Dimik”]Oh dude you should see the brewer community of New York City… Hipster would be an understatement for about a third or half of us. I’ve seen guys who look like they just used a time machine and came here straight from Woodtock. I bought carboy from Craigslist from a guy who… just take my word for it.
The other half of us are just your average working people - chefs, scientists, professors, teachers, designers, bakers, carpenters, and so on. Beardless brewers are more numerous though from what I’ve seen.[/quote]

Oh, I make fun of hipsters all the time. I am pretty sure that Uptown in Minneapolis is the Hipster capital of the world. I know it has the highest percentage of iPhones. Most of the hipsters here drink their PBR in their skinny jeans, text on their iPhones, and complain why the PBR is so expensive.

I would imagine it might serve a purpose similar to a chemist’s beard. When they cant to crystallize a solution, they wave their beard over it and a stray seed crystal drops in and starts the process. For a brewer, a little leftover yeast in the beard could start a fermentation without a starter or storebought yeast. Might include a little Brett and pedio of course.

When I was divorced I grew a beard and looked just like Fidel Castro. It was a scraggly affair and never did quit itching so I cut it off and started buying yeast again.

If I ever find a curly hair in a beer I’m judging, I’m just going to HOPE its a beard hair. But that beer is getting a 13.

I started growing a beard about a month before I started brewing. I wonder if I shaved my beard off would I lose the desire to brew :?

Oh trust me you would! Unless you switched to wine. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dude - you’ve just given away my secret ingredient!

Like Quincy said, it certainly doesn’t hurt! My best beers have been brewed during periods of maximum beardage. Coincidence? I don’t think so. :cheers: