Difference between 2 row and pale ale malt?

I saw a recipe for a porter recently that had 2 row as the base malt but had 1 lb of pale ale malt in the grist too along with all the other specialty malts. What’s the difference between 2 row and pale ale malt, and why would they add 1 lb of pale ale malt in there? Thanks.

I believe pale ale malt is just a darker version of 2 row. Malted to 3.5 lovibond or so. Suppose to give you more biscuity, nutty flavor.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.

Usually (your maltster may vary) light to dark Pils Malt, Brewers Malt, Pale Ale Malt.
Malts in US may be either 2 row or 6 row. Most European malt is 2 row.
I always use 2 row Brewers Malt where the recipe calls for ‘2 row malt’ and 2 row Pale Ale when it calls for Pale Ale, but I could be wrong.
Thanks
Ed

Not sure what the purpose of that extra pound in a Porter maybe the guy had a little left from a previous recipe and just used it up.

PA is roasted to about the same level as vienna, 3.5 or so. It has a lower diastatic value than regular 2 row but still high enough to work as a base malt.

Probably for the biscuity nutty flavor but I’m not sure you’d get much from 1 lb in that grist. Could have used it for base maybe like using MO or GP in an english pale or bitter.