Determining what my parti gyle will be!

I am making a BIG stout/porter concoction reminiscent of the recipe in the Sour Beer episode of brewing TV. I want to collect the second runnings for a smaller table beer. The only thing is I am not sure what my second runnings will “be”! Thinking it will be reminiscent of a light brown ale of sorts. Any ideas? Also thinking of yeast…1945 or 1332. Ideas?
Thanks!

How about a RIS/Dry Stout Partigyle? Cheers!!!

I had a good time doing a 2nd runnings of a Baltic Porter as an American Brown ale. Don’t forget that you can cap your mash with additional grains before the 2nd runnings so long as you don’t need to convert starches. Its another fun layer you can add to the process if your so inclined.

Lets take an example of 5gal of 1.080 RIS. Thats 5x80=400pts. Thats our big beer. Now, a pound of grain soaks up and holds a pint of liquid when you add water to it. Lets say you mash with 1.5qt/lb = 3 pints/lb. So when you drain the mash you get 2pts out and leave 1 pint behind in the grain. That means you get 2/3 of your malt sugars in the first runnings (assuming complete conversion). So to get 400pts out in the first runnings, you need to start with 600pts wrth of grain (400 / 2/3). Base malt is 36pts/lb so you need 11.1lb.

Now to get more sugar out for a small beer, you add more water. Lets say you add another 1qt/lb. That gives you 1.5qt/lb in the tun again, and again you’ll drain out 2/3 of it or 1qt/lb since the grain still holds onto that same 1 pint per pound. So you get 2/3 of the sugar out again. This time there is only 200pts of sugar left in there though, so 2/3 x 200 = 133pts. 133/5gal = 27pt/gal if you tried to make 5gal of this brew. So you can either make 3gal, or cap the mash to bring the OG up at least into the mid-30’s. For that you’d need to raise the OG by 8pts, so 5gal x 8pt = 40pts total. Since you are going to get that 66% efficiency, you need closer to 60pts of grain or nearly 2lb of extra base malt to cap the mash.

I haven’t actually used these so I’m not sure how accurate they are but I’ve been thinking about it for a while now.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/ba ... table.html

Here’s some info I found helpful in my yet to be utilized research on the method.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/ba ... osher.html

Again, I haven’t actually used these but here are some tables too from that article to determine gravity and color.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/ba ... table.html

Mosher’s article & table are pretty good imo. Personally, rather than capping the 2nd mash, I like to shoot for a bit higher OG on the first beer & then blend a gallon or so back & forth to achieve the preferred OG for the two beers. YMMV. Cheers!!!

I like the idea of pulling a little of the first runnings for “capping” the small beer. That way you aren’t waiting another hour for conversion.

I guess I didn’t say it that way but that’s exactly why I do it. Just one mash with 1st runnings & 2nd runnings. The other benefit I’ve found is adding some of the 1st runnings to the 2nd gives it more flavor. I was bumbed with my first partigyle. The first runnings beer was great but the second was watery blah even with a 1.04? OG. Since then I’ve blended & both turn out quite enjoyable. Cheers!!!

Thanks for posting the link to Mosher’s information… you sent me off on a recipe design scheme for a future partigyle. Looks like I really should track down some more of Mosher’s stuff!