Dennys BVIP , fermenting questions

I brewed this last fall in a 4 gallon batch and really liked it. I did have a little issue though with getting it to carb up. It did carb up somewhat but took a long time and was still just a little flatter than I expected.

I’m curiuos if this is normal for this brew or if my process may have played a hand. This was onlt the 2nd batch that I every moved to a secondary fermenter.

So does pulling it out of the primary significantly lessen the yeast that will eventually be counted on to carb up the beer when its bottled?

Anyone every done this brew all in a primary rather than moving to secondary? If so, did you get good results?

[quote=“Kgetch”]I brewed this last fall in a 4 gallon batch and really liked it. I did have a little issue though with getting it to carb up. It did carb up somewhat but took a long time and was still just a little flatter than I expected.

I’m curiuos if this is normal for this brew or if my process may have played a hand. This was onlt the 2nd batch that I every moved to a secondary fermenter.

So does pulling it out of the primary significantly lessen the yeast that will eventually be counted on to carb up the beer when its bottled?

Anyone every done this brew all in a primary rather than moving to secondary? If so, did you get good results?[/quote]

That’s one of the few beers I use a secondary for. It shouldn’t have any effect on carbonation.

Denny, Thanks for the quick response!

Do you typically bottle this or keg it up?

I dont recall seeing any specifics in your recipe for priming sugar amounts.

I have tried a couple of the online calculators and they seem to be OK but as I said, this one batch seemed to be stubborn on the carbing side.

I dont have my number here so I dont recall exactly how much I used for the 4 gallon batch. Any pointers?

[quote=“Kgetch”]Denny, Thanks for the quick response!

Do you typically bottle this or keg it up?

I dont recall seeing any specifics in your recipe for priming sugar amounts.

I have tried a couple of the online calculators and they seem to be OK but as I said, this one batch seemed to be stubborn on the carbing side.

I dont have my number here so I dont recall exactly how much I used for the 4 gallon batch. Any pointers?[/quote]

I bottle it using 1 oz. sugar per gal. of beer.

I’ve brewed this many times in 10 and 20 gallon batches. I keg it and for some reason, the beer will not carb if left undisturbed in the keg. It takes a little shake perhaps to get something off of the surface (vanilla, bourbon, ???) before it will carb up. Once it carbs, the head is so fine and tight and creamy smooth, it is out of this world.

A friend of mine bottled his once and it never carbed up. After three years he gave up and dumped them. When I was a bottler, I would rouse the bottles just a bit to help them along.

Thanks guys!

Well I found one issue then…the priming calc on this site says to use 2.4 oz for a 4 gal batch. That is what I added per my notes.

I’ll kick that up a notch this batch.

Greg…I did rouse my bottles a couple times and that did seem to help. As you noted, when it did carb up, it is a great brew!

FWIW, I almost always aim for 2.5-2.75 vol. of CO2 in my beers. Use that as a ROT for my recipes.

Thanks! :cheers: