D-47: High Polysaccharide Producer?

The D-47 spec sheet states:

[quote]ICV-D47 is a high polysaccharide producer known to accentuate fruit characteristics and bring volume and complexity to white wines.[/quote]“High polysaccharide producer” ?? I’ve been scouring the web, but can’t find anything that explains what this means WRT yeast strains. Can anyone offer an explanation?
Thanks,
snipe

It means it leave more complex sugars in the finished wine, and thus the wines will have more body and fuller mouthfeel. Note that complex sugars don’t typically give sweetness, so you can still end up with a dry wine.

It implies it leave more perplexing sugars in the completed wine and the wines will have more body and more full mouthfeel. Note that complex sugars don’t commonly give sweetness, so you can at present wind up with a dry wine.

:shock:

Sorry I never followed-up. I don’t mean to bore anyone … I was able to find a few papers after I found some time to do additional digging.

Yeast do in fact produce polysaccharides (enhanced body & mouthfeel – as mentioned above) and mannoproteins (protection against protein and tartaric instability, retention of aroma compounds, reduction of astringency, stimulate the growth of lactic acid bacteria, improve the foam quality of sparkling wines).

I suppose seasoned winemakers know all these things … but I certainly didn’t. Live and learn. :slight_smile:

I was actually wondering a similar thing recently, thanks for doing the digging for me :slight_smile:

p.s. I like Dany500’s comment best, very insightful and full of perplexing original thought.