Confused about my FG

Folks

Was going to bottle AG#3 tomorrow- a Belgian Trippel fermented with harvested westmalle yeast

fermentation was quick and agressive and it tastes great. went down from 1.077 to 1.002!!

anyways, the grav has been the same for past few days and I’m quite surprised by how low it went. was about to move it downstairs to settle for a bit before bottling tomorrow and noticed that there was still a lot of krausen on top and what looks like bubbles at high fermentation.

normally, in past experience, that stuff has fallen back into the beer by the time I’ve bottled. I’ve rechecked by hydro settings and even took a sample from the top of the beer to check grav (normally I take it from tap at bottom). All results are as they should be

Any thoughts?

thanks

Matthew

Are you taking gravity measurements with a refractometer or a hydrometer? The alcohol will skew the reading in a refractometer.

1.002 is very low - did you have 20+% sugar? Extract or grain?

was a hydro

was all grain. used 20%

checked with my belgian brewer friend. he said it’s all good- could just be the crazy westmalle strain

What temp did you mash at? Is your hydrometer accurate? What temp was your beer when you measured the FG?

What happens when your final gravity reads 1.0000 ? Did something go wrong there or did the yeast just do it job and consumed all of the sugar, and if it is bad how do you prevent it?

[quote=“Sasquatch 59”]What happens when your final gravity reads 1.0000 ? Did something go wrong there or did the yeast just do it job and consumed all of the sugar, and if it is bad how do you prevent it?[/quote]It’s possible to go below 1.000 as the ethanol concentation increases (ethanol has a SG of 0.800). It’s not necessarily bad to have a very low FG, but it’s unlikely that “regular” yeast will get a standard wort into the low single digits without a high concentration of simple sugar. It could mean that there’s an infection or more likely a reading error.