Chocolate Milk Stout

I was wondering how hoppy is this beer pro mash came up with 40IBU’s and was curious if the nibs and specialty grains mellow out the hop flavor. I’m making it for my daughter and son in law and they like beers more in the 25-30 range
Thanks
Randy

I don’t like hoppy beers and this one shouldn’t be because it’s well balanced.

Would have to see the recipe to know for sure, but I imagine all the hops is being added form the beginning? This will not be very hopy at all. Most Dry irish stouts start at 40-50 IBUs. There will be no hop aroma, and 40 IBUs is almost a non factor when balancing against dark malts and the sweetness of a milk stout.

This will seem much more to the sweet side than the bitter I think.

Thanks for the replays it is NBC recipe 8# base .75 carafa .25 extra dark crystal .75 pale chocholate malt
.75 cluster @ 60min 1# lactose @60 min .5cluster @30. Min

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]Would have to see the recipe to know for sure, but I imagine all the hops is being added form the beginning? This will not be very hopy at all. Most Dry irish stouts start at 40-50 IBUs. There will be no hop aroma, and 40 IBUs is almost a non factor when balancing against dark malts and the sweetness of a milk stout.

This will seem much more to the sweet side than the bitter I think.[/quote]

Bingo.

To quote Dr. Fix:

[quote=“Principles of Brewing Science, pg 67, paragraph 3”]
It must be emphasized that the perception of hop flavor (taste and smell) is far too subtle to be captured by one single number. It is not uncommon for one beer to be rated as having a milder hop bitter than another in blind tastings, even though the former has a higher BU (see, for example, Preis and Mitter, 1995).[/quote]

Cheers.

I have the NB recipe on tap right now. Beersmith says it’s 32 IBUs, but it’s so deliciously roasty, sweet, and chocolatey that any noticeable bitterness is non-existent.

Thanks silentknyght that was what i was hoping to hear