Chinook IPA with stuck sparge

It took for ever to run off the mash and then we had to dump the mashed grains into the sparge tank and clean the false bottom out before sparging. This was my second attempt to do all grain. The first one went off without much trouble. I guess rice hulls would help. I was curious as to why this would happen. The grain came pre crushed from NB.

Thanks,
Brian

If it was an all barley malt beer you probably don’t need rice hulls unless it was a very fine crush.
I’ve got a round orange cooler and a false bottom and had lots of stuck mashes until I figured it out. The inner lining of my cooler warped and bulges up at the bottom sometimes blocking the outflow from the false bottom. (It happened again with yesterday’s brew.) At mash temps the cooler lining is a little flexible. I shoved my thin mash paddle between the inner lining and insulation and burped out the trapped air. My lauter flowed fine after that. I don’t know if this is your problem or not. If you have a round cooler check the bottom to see if it lies flat or not.

What are you mashing in, what kind of false bottom?

It is the 5 gal all grain system from NB. I will check the bottom. We ended up pulling the mash out and cleaning out the false bottom then putting it back in and it worked, but it was a trickle.

The bottom did seem a bit warped as compared to the hot liquor tank. I switched the false bottom to the hot liquor tank. See if that helps.

Brian