Chest Freezer Died

The small chest freezer I used for lagering, cold storage and hops storage died. Lights come on but no one at home…I’m not sure when but when I opened it yesterday everything looked like it had a light white haze on it…I’m thinking mold…so I closed it up and left it. haha.

Really aggravated because all my hops were in there…probably close to 20 lbs of hops…some of which were very new. Anything that was still unopened I’ll likely just clean off and keep. some of the older ones were probably ready to toss anyway.

Luckily only had one keg of schwarzbier in there. I’ll clean off the outside with diluted bleach and it should be fine.

Now I guess I’m in the market for another chest freezer…ugh…wasn’t planning on that expenditure right now.

With that stimulus check… You’ll be able to get a huge one now!!!
Sneezles61

Ughh. Sorry to hear that. Cleaning that will be a good time for an N-95.

That sucks. But if you did want to go bigger now is the time!

1 Like

My coworker has been looking for a new chest freezer and said that he cant find any available until september. He picked up a used one.

I’ll likely go used if I can find a nice one. This one was new from home depot and it’s only 5-6 years old I think…maybe less. I can’t find the manual or paperwork which is odd since I have a file for all that stuff.

It’s a Magic Chef…magic shite if you ask me…my last kenmore upright freezer survived over 20 years. I guess as usual you get what you pay for.

There’s zip on craigslist. One 3.5cf 'er. May be a while before I replace this.

Fan running? Coils clean? Is it a self defrost? I replaced a defrost heater in a freezer once. Most stuff can be fixed unless the compressor is shot.

I have an old fridge in our garage that the evaporator fan stops once in a while. I give it a shot of Blaster and it’s good for a year or so.

1 Like

No fan no sound at all. Just the lights come on. I guess there’s no harm in opening it up to see what’s up…

I agree. Can’t break it much more than it’s already broken. If I remember correctly if the compressor gets really hot, it’s probably had it. Maybe someone here knows refrigeration better than I do.

1 Like

I nursed mine along by unplugging it for awhile and replugging. Some may have a reset. Sometimes a tapping with a hammer worked. It finally died

1 Like

LIke @Grantmesteven said, major appliances are in short supply…who knew Wuhan was the epicenter of manufacturing. We got “the last washer and dryer coming out of China” in early March according to the salesman at Lowe’s for our “new” place.

Sorry to hear that. For future prevention,the inkbird controller on my keezer has high and low temperature alarms. Cheap protection - in case of freezer failure, it makes lots of noise before things go bad. You can get simple temperature alarms for around $30.

Shall I consider me self lucky? Garage is still very “cool” here yet… Doggone water bowl outside was frozen solid this AM… And I like it cool!!
Sneezles61

Kinda been ignoring the freezer issue since they’ve been scarce for a while. Looks like they’re more readily available now and prices are reasonable so I cracked open the magic chef today. The compressor housing area is cleaner than the inside of the freezer! Looks like a simple compressor setup with a starter relay. When I plug it in the lights on the thermostat light up and I hear a click that sounds like a relay cutting on but it makes no cold.

Can’t locate my receipt which is odd but it was manufactured July 2014. Pretty sure I bought it in 2015. There’s a 5 year parts warranty on the compressor. figures.

I found a compressor online for 185 but lines would have to sweated on. Saw relays too but din’t price them.

I can get a new GE or frigidaire about the same size for 300 delivered and old one hauled away.

2 Likes

Well, I pondered too long and they’re both gone.

Always that way. As a young undergrad back in 1984 I worked Christmas break for UPS as a runner and came back triumphantly to my dorm with a newfangled Pioneer top of the line CD player… didn’t purchase the warranty so of course at about thirteen months it croaked. Disgusted I bought a basic magnavox AND the longest warranty I could buy(5years)…guess what I have that same magnavox CD player plugged in here at the new house and it works fine, 36 years later :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

OH boy DannyBoy… I’d pulled the trigger immediately! But that was then and this is now… Did you try pulling the relay out… Check to see if it’s clean too? There is a fine adjustment screw you could “screw with” … Maybe it’s got build up from all the cycling it’s done… If you need… I’ve got a controller from a walk in beer cooler that can be yers for nuttin’… If you want to tinker some more… A compressor swap would involve real fancy gadgetry and some one who knows all about that stuff…
Hey VooDoo, I called Magnabox… bag in a box!! :joy::joy:. :beers:. :mask:
Sneezles61

Is the relay in the little black plastic box on the left side of the compressor?

What’s that big white box to the left of the black box? Is that the freezer control module? That is where the the wires and thermocoupler converge… That’d be where I look…
Sneezles61