Chest Freezer Died

Well, my keezer just pooped the bed… I plugged it in… preparing for the next wave of kegs… About an hour after turning it on… I opened the lid… hot air… thats not what I was expecting… I have a few controllers from some beer caves we demo’d in the past… I’ll wire one in… see what happens…
Did I mention how beautiful the Tamarack’s look right now? Brass to golden needles…
Sneezles61

Well that sucks. I have been limping along the beer fridge in our garage that was in the house when we bought it 16 years ago. Replaced the evap fan this summer after just giving the motor a WD40 shot every couple of years. Hope your fix is an easy one.

new(er) controller wired in… all set to go… I did have it on its side for quite a while… Internet sez to leave it sit in operating position as long as it was on its side… Waiting is the hardest part… I’m so tempted…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Well, THAT didn’t work… I have a repair guy showing up later today…
The Say-Son needs a chilly space now…
Sneezles61
EDIT: No repair guy… ):… But I believe I figured it out… the run capacitor… Ohm meter shows OL… One is on the way… then we’ll see…
EDIT: :disappointed: Its a gonner… Have you seen the price of new stuff!! :dizzy_face:

Big… Bad… Brain Fart!!..
The dead chest freezer… say its about 2’-6" wide… 3’-8" long… Counting the base// 2’-10" tall… The guts are no good… but imagine the already made, very light… fermenting chamber?
Lay it on its end… so it opens like a hinged door… I’d bet I could keep it cool enough with frozen bottles of ice to ferment some cold loving yeast!! Simple… eh? :smirk:
Sneezles61

I suspect this will work just fine… It’ll be put to service Tuesday!

My 2nd keezer died… I don’t think the the freezers like doing the easy work a fridge does…
Now to ponder whats next…
Sneezles61

Do you think it’s possible it is because they don’t like the the power being shut off and on more often than it normally would be rather than the internal thermostat doing it?

1 Like

I believe its something to that nature… I’m trying to get ahold of an actual HVAC repair guy… He’ll tell me whats possible… I have contacted another guy with a keg-miester… I hope to get all things sorted out today…?
Sneezles61

Still not sorted out… I did talk to the HVAC guy, he sez, running a freezer like a refrigerator isn’t very good for them in the long haul… He won’t have time until next W/E to come over and look…
Sneezles61

Still dead in the water… ggggrrrr… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
So now, I’ll resort to the “old fashioned” way… I’m freezing one gallon containers of water that’ll go into the keezer… They’ll go into small trash bins, so when they melt, I won’t need to deal with the water… pull it out, and have another ready to go in… minimize the time the lid is up… May take a few days to get it cold so… Patience… I can always keg and put in my fridge until its cold enough to put in the keezer…
Sneezles61
EDIT: This isn’t working either… I’m looking around… I may just have to bite the bullet and get one designed as a keg dispensing gizmo… I look at the “all fridge” styles, and most the reviews say they won’t go below 40*F… I’ll need to inquire about not getting a tank, regs and taps… I’m well supplied in that aspect…

I got a free small dorm fridge today!! The ice tray area is frozen solid… I’ll let it defrost, then I’ll gently fold that part down… Then I’ll carefully carve a hole in the top for a tower tap… I don’t think it’ll hold 2 kegs… but I gotta try… Did I mention that I don’t really like warm apple joose?
Sneezles61

1 Like

My little dorm sized kegerator holds two kegs, I have confidence in you! :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

The base is too small for a keg… can’t close the door….
Maybe it’s time to go back to the way I started… in a regular fridge with a picnic tap… gas it up when I open the door… just too much effort trying scenarios…. I’m not wanting to buy an actual keg serving gizmo…. :roll_eyes:
Sneezles61

I know you said you had a chest freezer, and turning it on and off so much is far from ideal… But wouldn’t it be worth the risk given how much of a headache this is giving you? Buying a used one for like $100 that fits multiple kegs easily (with extra available room for loose beers), and then running it into the ground feels much easier than all the nonsense you’ve had to cope with.

1 Like

I’m just on hold for now… Spring showed up, so out the door I went… when it gets hot out, I’ll come back in and ponder what to do…
Seems like the $100.00 freezers have become a thing of the past… I’ll keep an eye out until I do something… a fridge that’s a chest would be the ideal set up… My whole brewing adventure would be a blast again…
Sneezles61

I put a bigmouth in my little dorm fridge for controlled fermentation temp. I have to put about an 1 1\2" prop underneath it to get it above interference from the door. If that doesnt help, I’ve heard of people removing the molded plastic from the door to get more room.

1 Like

I remember seeing a post where someone built a insulated chest with a square cut out the size of the mini fridge. Then took off the door and mounted the fridge in it to cool it. Only economical if you dont need to buy the materials. I believe he was building a bar and incorporating it into the finish under their bar

2 Likes

Really? I looked at Facebook market place and there were a few banged up ones for under $130, some in better condition for about $180. I must just be lucky that people around me are unloading them

Seems everyone’s venison is thawing out… so there a run on freezers and such here… I’m up to my elbows in alligators… house needs to be re-roofed… so crazy me decides to put a dormer over the entry door, 8x10… looks like rain moving in… geez…
Sneezles61
Edit:I found a gizmo for serving brews! A peep listed a glass door magic chef beverage fridge on Craigslist… I went to get it, whipped out the cash for it, he said just take it!!! It’ll hold 2 of my pin lock kegs…
Now, to get hoses in and out of it! Gambrinus, the beer god was being kind…
Another edit: I got the gas hoses through the side… now to figure out how to dispense some brews… time fer a brew! Well, bmc….

1 Like