I made two batches of beer and couldnt get the fermentation to take off. My OG was right on but couldnt get more than a couple of points movement. Driving me nuts.
I kept thinking my yeast management was bad. I also had this raisiny fruit funk to the beer
Then…I decided to check my thermometer and found that according to it water boiled at 170 degrees. Meaning my actual mash temps were way too high. I couldn’t believe I was so stupid and didn’t think to check it
Questions if I may. Does this make sense that the beer wouldnt ferment properly even though the OG was ok and also prove that I would get a raisin type flavor due to high mash temp. Next any recommendations on a good thermometer for a dummy?