Brunch Stout anyone make it yet?

I want to give this a try, but want to know if anyone has made it yet. Thoughts? This will be my first try at all grain, and was hoping for something like Founders Breakfast Stout. I read the ingredients, and it sounds like it should be close,but the recipe doesnt call for oats. Would it be wrong to add some for body? How much would be a decent amount to add?

Here is Northerns recipe to make it easy: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta … hStout.pdf

Funny because last night I was just thinking of brewing a breakfast stout. It would be my first time making one. I had a Lagunitas Cappucino Stout the other night at 9.2% and it was really nice. This recipe does not call out abv. I would be interested in others comments who may have tried this beer.

It’s not meant to be a Founder’s clone, just a slightly stronger American stout with coffee.

[quote=“Vaughn_S”]It’s not meant to be a Founder’s clone, just a slightly stronger American stout with coffee.[/quote]Understood. The coffee stout is what intrigues me.

Anybody know what this is and what would be an adequate sub?

“Malting Company of Ireland Stout Malt”

[quote=“560sdl”]Anybody know what this is and what would be an adequate sub?

“Malting Company of Ireland Stout Malt”[/quote]

I just used it for the first time. Results TBD, it’s still stilling in the primary and I had my first ever stalled fermentation with it but I think that was more due to the drop in temperature here in MN than the malt or anything like that. I repitched some yeast and it’s going again but I used this in a stout I wrote up that looked an awful lot like what that link suggested. Even used the Coffee Malt for the first time in this one as well.

[quote=“inhousebrew”][quote=“560sdl”]Anybody know what this is and what would be an adequate sub?

“Malting Company of Ireland Stout Malt”[/quote]

I just used it for the first time. Results TBD, it’s still stilling in the primary and I had my first ever stalled fermentation with it but I think that was more due to the drop in temperature here in MN than the malt or anything like that. I repitched some yeast and it’s going again but I used this in a stout I wrote up that looked an awful lot like what that link suggested. Even used the Coffee Malt for the first time in this one as well.[/quote]

So you bought the actual kit or ordered the ingredients from NB? I am trying to figure out how to secure those grains or an equivalent locally

Oh, I actually wrote my own recipe that just so happens to look a lot like that one and I live in Mpls so I just went down to the store to get the ingredients. It’s a newish basemalt they have gotten in so this kit is probably just to get it out there but I’d be willing to bet you could sub in most basemalt if you need too. It won’t be the same but even with a basic 2-row that should be fine.