Brewing with honey

I’m looking into doing something with honey, I’ve never used honey in beer and I’m not sure where I should start, I’m looking for something light and crisp and not too hoppy. Like I said I’ve never brewed with honey before and I’m not even sure when to use it! Any and all thoughts (and recipe suggestions!) are appreciated!

I see a lot of honey wheat recipes, light beer with a neutral flavor profile and low hops. I think you can either add honey right at the end of boil, or towards the end of the primary fermentation if you want to preserve the aromas to the greatest extent possible. Honey ferments out completely so don’t look for a sweet contribution, just the floral or whatever notes the honey has to offer.

I’ve seen a lot of talk about needing to dilute it down to the same gravity as the beer it’s going in to, is that true? or can I just add it into the end of the boil (or more likely the end of primary)

It adds sugar so this increases the strength of the beer. So you can either add some water to dilute back, brew a smaller beer knowing the honey will bring it where you want, or brew a stronger beer. i’d personally do #2.

1 lb of honey has about 33 gravity points. It will increase the effective OG of 5 gallons by 0.0065.

Honey is almost 100% fermentable by all yeasts. So 0.0065 in gravity = about 0.8% abv.

You will get very little flavor addition (if any) from all but the stongest flavor (very dark-black) honey.

Hope this helps you.

Also, expect it to take a LONG time to ferment out. I have had visual signs of fermentation going on 2 weeks with honey.

Use honey for the priming too.

I’ve used it in American wheat beers, and now use it in a blonde ale. I do flame out. Usually 1lb per 5 gallons.

More info is needed for this statement.

I’ve had meads show no signs of fermenation after 1 weeks.

i like to keep my wheat beers on the cool side while fermnting so it will take more time …if you ferment at warmer temps it may go faster.

More info is needed for this statement.

I’ve had meads show no signs of fermenation after 1 weeks.[/quote]

Just my experience… At times when I used honey it takes awhile to ferment out. I’m not syaing everytime. I usually ferment my ales at 62* (actual not ambient) so that might have something to do with it. Just saying, don’t be surprised if it can take awhile. Also, in your statement, you said that you had meads not show sings of fermentation after 1 week. That didn’t necessarily mean they were done, right?