Brewing 2.5 gal. all grain batches

I was thinking about doing two batches at 2.5 gal. each just cutting a five gal, recipe in half so as to have two cases of different beer. Just wondering if I have to do 60 min. in the lautering tun or should I cut that time in half as well? I’m thinking it should not make any difference, Any thoughts?

Not quite sure what you’re asking. If you’re using the same mash for both and splitting into two kettles, you should collect all the wort and then split. If you’re talking about doing two separate mashes, then your sparge time will be shorter for each.

I was talking about two seperate mashes

If you want to do it the easy way, set up the recipes with the same base grain(s) and look for common specialty grains, do a single mash with the majority of the grain and split between two kettles, and then steep the crystal for each at 160F for 20 minutes.

Or you can do a partigyle with the first runnings going for the first beer then you cap the mash with a little more grain and do a second mash while the first wort is boiling.

Re: how long to mash, AFAIK there is no connection between the amount of grain and the time of the mash. The enzymes need time to work that is not driven by the mass of grain but the chemistry of the mash. If the 5-gal recipe requires a 60-min mash, so will the 2.5-gal mash.

[quote=“ccw1969”]Just wondering if I have to do 60 min. in the lautering tun or should I cut that time in half as well?[/quote]Just to be clear, since you specified the “lautering tun” you’re asking if you can cut your sparge time in half, not your mash time, correct? If you meant mash time though, then the previous comment is correct - mash time is not dependent on the weight of grain.

Another thought on 2 different beers would be to ferment 1/2 of the same wort with different yeasts. You would be surprised what a difference this makes if you have never tried it. Even something that seems so similar like fermenting an Irish Ale with 1/2 using Irish Ale yeast and 1/2 using English Ale yeast will make noticeably different beers.

If you really want something different, I make and English Pale ale and ferment 1/2 with English ale and 1/2 with a Belgian stain to get a Belgian Pale ale. All of that with just one mash.

[quote=“Duxx”]Another thought on 2 different beers would be to ferment 1/2 of the same wort with different yeasts. You would be surprised what a difference this makes if you have never tried it. Even something that seems so similar like fermenting an Irish Ale with 1/2 using Irish Ale yeast and 1/2 using English Ale yeast will make noticeably different beers.

If you really want something different, I make and English Pale ale and ferment 1/2 with English ale and 1/2 with a Belgian stain to get a Belgian Pale ale. All of that with just one mash.[/quote]

I was going to suggest something similar. You can do this test many different ways. Mash the same grain and do two boils if you want to try out two different hop types. Or brew 5 gallons of one beer and split into 5 one gallon fermenters to try different dry hops, spices, fruit, etc…

[quote=“Adam20”][quote=“Duxx”]Another thought on 2 different beers would be to ferment 1/2 of the same wort with different yeasts. You would be surprised what a difference this makes if you have never tried it. Even something that seems so similar like fermenting an Irish Ale with 1/2 using Irish Ale yeast and 1/2 using English Ale yeast will make noticeably different beers.

If you really want something different, I make and English Pale ale and ferment 1/2 with English ale and 1/2 with a Belgian stain to get a Belgian Pale ale. All of that with just one mash.[/quote]
I was going to suggest something similar. You can do this test many different ways. Mash the same grain and do two boils if you want to try out two different hop types. Or brew 5 gallons of one beer and split into 5 one gallon fermenters to try different dry hops, spices, fruit, etc…[/quote]

posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=979187&sid=f1ed881be8f122745d54df546c124131#

Thanks everyone all very good ideas