Brewed a Berliner Weiße in Record Time

I had one of my shortest brew days on record. Started at heating water and measuring grain at 5 AM and was cleaned up by 9:30. 50 % white wheat and 50% German Pils. I did a 1.030 OG spot on target for 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. Inoculated with Wyeast 5335 Lacto at 72ºF and will hold it there for several weeks before pitching my yeast. :smiley:

Seems like a long time for a Berliner. Did you boil it?

I did one yesterday too,why you waiting so long before you pitch yeast?

I want to make sure it’s good and sour first. From what I’ve read the ale yeast inhibits the lacto from doing its work.

I probably boiled too long at 60 minutes. I have a 15 gallon system and cleaning takes more time than brewing, especially on a 6 gallon batch.

I want to make sure it’s good and sour first. From what I’ve read the ale yeast inhibits the lacto from doing its work.[/quote]

Check out this guys presentation on Berliner Weisse, this is the formula I am following. He says the bacteria is spent and done its thing after just 5 days or so.

I built a 5335 starter and will pitch my yeast starter after 3 days or so.

Check this youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hClp9huB1M

yea, the yeast just out performs this bacteria so you have to give the 5335 a head start so the desired lemonny sourness is achieved.

[quote=“bstein”]
Check out this guys presentation on Berliner Weisse, this is the formula I am following. He says the bacteria is spent and done its thing after just 5 days or so.

I built a 5335 starter and will pitch my yeast starter after 3 days or so.

Check this youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hClp9huB1M

yea, the yeast just out performs this bacteria so you have to give the 5335 a head start so the desired lemonny sourness is achieved.[/quote]

That is the one I saw too. He was only working with 50 ml tubes. I thought a 6 gal carboy would take a bit longer, especially at 70ºF.

I probably boiled too long at 60 minutes. I have a 15 gallon system and cleaning takes more time than brewing, especially on a 6 gallon batch.[/quote]

Fair enough. Most Berliners are boiled for 10-15 minutes, if they’re boiled at all - many people just raise to 170-200 or so, and then chill. The isomerization of alpha acids can be detrimental to the lacto’s health, as the acids cause their delicate cell walls to burst, or something.

Yes, I boiled it. Never read anything about not boiling the wort. I only added 5 IBUs at 60 minutes. The Lacto really took off and settled yesterday. I just pitched the ale yeast this morning and it is really going to town.

I have seen where the wort is collected and is boiled after letting the mash sour at around 100 degrees for about 3 days, thus killing the bacteria and then chill and pitch the yeast as normal. The beer is drinkable this way in a month. I am going to give this a try when we get closer to summer temps around here…