I did my second AG batch yesterday, making some modifications to the method I used in the first.
The first time, I went with 4 gallons of water, and then did a sparge with an additional 2.
I ended up with about 3 gallons of wort when all was said and done.
I read about more people having success just going with the full amount at mash in, and letting ‘nature’ take care of the rest - so I started last night off with 6.2 gallons of water at mash in for an hour at 153 degrees, and then pulled the bag out drain.
I added what drained off in my barrel back to the wort, and continued my boil. When I finished that one, I (again) had just over 3 gallons.
My OG at the start of the boil was 1.010, and when it was done, I had the right OG of 1.050 (Stout)…
So I have to figure out the best way adjust in order to get a full 5 gallons at the end of my boil with as close to my target OG as possible.
By the way… I’m using a 7.5 gallon kettle for my Brew in a Bag.