Doing Joe’s Brown Ale

7.5 -engl maris
.25 -engl choc
.25 -briess carmal 120
.25 -belgiam bisquit
.25 -briess spec roast

fuggle, williamett-60
saaz-30
tettenanger, kent golden - flame out. (usually put in at 10, something different)

04 - yeast

Another thing doing diff is a 122 protien rest 20 min
153 - rest
168 - mashout

Using my new pump.

1 Like

Floor Malted Maris?

not sure. I got I called to HBS in Liverpool. Is there a difference?

If you can sometime taste the difference between floor malted and “normal” malted Maris Otter. There certainly is a difference. Since I’m not chewing the grains right now I cannot describe the difference but I prefer the floor malted.
My LHBS sells both and they encourage you to taste the grains before milling. I think chewing the grains is a great way to learn what tastes you are using. There are some grains at my LHBS that taste disgusting IMO and I won’t use them now that I’ve tasted them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With all the specialty grains… I really don’t think you could tell the difference…
Sneezles61

This is a base malt. There’s a nice difference both are great though

I realize that… but with all the specialty… do you think you could tell the difference with or with out MO being floor malted?
Perhaps, in an all MO grainbill… yes…
Sneezles61

I think if one drank enough Maris Otter beers I think one could eventually tell the difference. The grains are very different. But to answer your question… me personally… probably not.

This is my new set up. Had to work through new technique. I have the wort go through the coil. The valves were the issue until L had them right. The tubing is 1/2 and the coil is 3/8. Used what I had.
My electronic thermometer was off, had to use the wives and the probe inn the kettle with the coil.

My before boil gravity was 1.050 and my after boil was 1.063.
Protein rest 125 20 min
sacch rest 154 60 min
m.o 167 10 min

3 Likes

I did end up with 4 gal . no excuses but different boiling pot.

2 Likes

Fun to figure out new equipment! Looks like a fun packed brew day!
Sneezles61

Me do like to use most of the time. Viking. Maris otter malt

Got yer Swaen yet Wilco?
Sneezles61

On the way. Took. Forever to set up a acount with that company normally they dont ship out of europe. Its easier for me to use antwerp shipport. Than rotterdam ship port. They claim. 15 days. For grains to arrive here on bonaire. Me not brewing. This week. Due to party. For grandson. So will transfer. Tomorow. To secondary. Add choc and vanilla beans

1 Like

I check the gravity after two weeks and it was 1.035. The OG was 1.063. The room is about 75 dregrees. I think I am going to leave it for a few days and check it again. If it stays I am going to keg it. Input please.

What yeast were you using? All the ale yeasts I use are typically at 1.02 or below in one week. I ferment around 75 as well

Sounds a bit high for the SG at this point. Possibly stalled. You could give it another week or so versus gently swirling the yeast back into suspension…good news is you can keg. Kegging a stalled beer is not the WORST THING EVER like bottling it would be.

I used the 04 English. I will do the swirling to get it going again. A genial swirling.

That’s a pretty high FG. What are you using for your readings?

1 Like

A Brix Refractometer. I did zero it in before my OG. This is the first time using it.