Bottle primed with Domino Dots

Bottled the Midnight BW Porter yesterday. Decided to use the Dots for this one. One Dot per 12 ounce bottle should yield 2.4 volumes of CO2. About right for a porter. The Dots would eliminate the need to stir the beer to ensure mixing of the priming solution. Reduced risk of increasing oxidation.

Decided to use the Dots on this one after having inconsistent carbonation on two previous brews. After a recent infection I purchased a new bottling bucket and siphon tubing. The new bottling bucket has a smaller diameter than the previous one. The new tubing used is 5/16" inside diameter. Either the tubing or the tubing in combination with the smaller diameter bucket created a reduced swirl to mix the priming sugar solution.

I also ordered new 3/8" ID tubing from NB but the fit on the racking cane was loose. I had been using locally purchased 3/8" ID tubing which had a snug fit. Seems like this tubing was a 64th of an inch or so less than 3/8". A clamp may have worked with the new tubing but could possibly still suck some air in during the siphoning. Local shop no longer has the same 3/8" ID tubing.

Might pick up a 1/2" racking cane in Marshfield tomorrow. Higher flow rate should create a better swirl in the bottling bucket.

The chart I had previously made up for using the Dots.

Domino Dots™
1 pound = 454 grams
198 Dots per pound
2.29 grams per cube
……
2.3 volumes for 5 gallons at 68°F = 100.32 grams of sucrose
48 bottles from 5 gallons = 2.09 grams of sucrose per bottle

2.4 volumes for 5 gallons at 68°F = 107.23 grams of sucrose
48 bottles from 5 gallons = 2.23 grams of sucrose per bottle

2.5 volumes for 5 gallons at 68°F = 114.15 grams of sucrose
48 bottles from 5 gallons = 2.38 grams of sucrose per bottle

Northern Brewer carbonation calculator

2 Likes

I’ve done the dots method. It worked well. I use a bottling bucket now and I have never experienced oxidation. I give the batch a gentle stir with the racking cane after filling the bottling bucket in order to evenly distribute

I still think that with minimal precautions oxidation is unlikely homebrewing. Very helpful info though @flars

We need someone to invent some kind of dispensing system that can drop auto measured amounts of cane sugar in a bottle. Weighing it out and dropping it in with a funnel would work but be really a PIA for five gallons.

A powder dispenser for reloading ammunition would probably work perfectly for that.

2 Likes

Both of my bench mounted powder chargers would need extensions for beer bottles but possible. The Lee powder dippers may work though. Increment changes between dippers is small. I’ll have to weigh out some dextrose charges.

1 Like

Beer with a bang! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“hd4mark, post:3, topic:26111”]
We need someone to invent some kind of dispensing system that can drop auto measured amounts of cane sugar in a bottle.
[/quote]While it doesn’t auto drop. Before I started using a bottling bucket I considered getting something like these…
adjustable measuring spoon

So to put wrench in the system… Why wouldn’t you boil some water add a known sugar amount and use a syringe to install into a bottle… I don’t bottle, but way back when… this idea plagued me… alot. Sneezles61

A pipetter or transfer pipette would work well. The former especially would make dispensing a consistent volume to each bottle easy.

If only someone would package sugar into small spheres or cubes of a size to carbonate beer to a suitable level!

They could call them sugar cubes or dots!

Or, we could weigh out the proper amount of sugar, dump the sugar into a tiny funnel and into a straw with the bottom squeezed close and heat-sealed, cut the straw at the top of the sugar and use the cut straw to cut more straws, fill the collection of straws with sugar and dump into bottles.

Old Dawg… You must have WWAAYY too much time on yer hands! IFN we don’t see you before… Thank you for your service in the service! There will be a few minutes of silence for you and all the others have served, especially the brothers and sisters that gave the ultimate sacrifice… Sneezles61

You could get those empty gelatin capsules and fill them with sugar. I figure 2-3 per bottle would do it.

Do you think the gunpowder would contribute to off flavors? :grin:

Seriously, you would think by now with the number of home brewers out there, some company would come up with different size priming tablets for different styles/volumes CO2.

I rarely bottle but when I do (sounds like a Dos Equis commercial) it’s only a few to give away or hang onto for a while. Started using the original prime tabs a long time ago and results varied. One problem was the dose was for 12oz bottles. So do you double it for a 22oz and call it close enough? Triple it for a 1 liter?

I can’t imagine weighing out or measuring out small enough quantities of sugar for 2 cases. It would make bottling an even bigger PIA.

It tends to throw a little sulfur. :laughing:

Got around to checking out the Lee powder measures. Very rough test especially leveling off the sugar by just tapping the side of the container the sugar was in. Used table sugar for the test. Table sugar doesn’t compact or pick up moisture weight from the air like DME can. Had a one grain variation with weighing the amount of sugar in the powder measures. This was based on only weighing two separate scoops.

Lee #2.8 37.7 grains to 38.7 grains 4.5 ounces = 2.4 to 2.5 grams/bottle = 4.5 ounces/5 gallons
#3.4 43.8 grains to 44.8 grains 5.3 ounces = 2.8 to 2.9 grams/bottle = 5.3 ounces/5 gallons
#4.3 55.1 grains to 56.1 grains 6.7 ounces = 3.6 grams/bottle = 6.7 ounces/5 gallons

There are 15 powder measures in the set to dial in what is needed for the bottle volume and volumes of CO2 for the finished beer.

1 Like

Flars, are you talking to yer self?
I’ve not heard of this gizmo… Its a pre determined size that will hold a know weighted amount? Sneezles61

Each dipper is labeled for cc volume. Filled to the top each dipper will hold a certain weight of powder depending upon the type and density of the powder, such as ball powder or extruded powder. A chart is included to determine how much weight each dipper will hold for the powder selected to reload the cartridge.

Not talking to myself here. Just wanted to tie it to my previous post for some continuity. (When I’m talking to myself the discussion is so involved I’m not able to type.)

1 Like

Also it’s rude to use your phone when your talking to yourself

1 Like