BLAKKR (Surly version)

Holy lord….Costs $20 a 4 pack so of course it’s the regularly over priced beer from Surly, but it is very good. IMO has a lot of levels of flavors even 1 -2 minutes after a swallow. Find it on tap if you can or get some I say, it’s only once a year I guess.

I got my hands on it last night, and even though I was not thrilled by the price, it is an imperial ale so $20 for four 16 ounce cans at 10% ABV of quality beer is not a bad deal.

I liked it. I am not a hophead but the black ale balanced out the hops and I was able to enjoy one after work and one was all I needed.

Beer is gross. :twisted:

price is outrageous and would not pay that, tried a sample at a bar and was not impressed at all…

overpriced beers are for suckers, and why we brew our own :cheers:

In all honesty, bottles of something special can be worth the $, and I do want to support growth of craft breweries, but in most cases, if its something crazy that I really like or want, I will just make it.

I just took a pilgrimage to Waterbury, VT with some buddies from work to get some Heady Topper and Hill Farmstead. Don’t get me wrong, they are both AWESOME, but I personally enjoy drinking my beer AAAAALMOST as much, because I can design it the way I want, and unless something goes horribly wrong, I have a few recipes honed in to where they drink exactly the way I want.

There is some magic to making the trip and getting coveted, otherwise unavailable with friends though. I spent $150 at Hill buying just about the maximum amount they would sell me (including bottled stuff), but things like that are more about the experience than the beer itself IMO.

These guys are really into to craft beer, but haven’t really brewed all that much. We are going to try to knock out a Heady clone or a clone of Edward, Hill’s APA…will post as to how they turn out :mrgreen:

Really? then why are you here

Can somebody please tell me what could possibly justify a price like that on any beer? Seriously, I love beer as much as anyone else here, but I’ve had about all I can take of this kind of nonsense. It’s gotten to the point where you can hardly even find anything drinkable any more for less than $5 for a 22-ouncer, and way more for one of these exotic experimental brews that are really just some weird concoction thrown together for no other purpose than charging a ridiculous amount of money for something that should be reasonably priced. And some of the beers coming out these days that cost an arm and a leg aren’t even anything out of the ordinary at all in terms of ingredients or alcohol content :evil: .
Clown Shoes’ beer is a good example of what I’m talking about. These guys just appeared on the scene in my home state of Michigan a few months ago, and right out of the gate, they think they can charge $10/ bottle for a bottle of Belgian-style IPA at 7% ABV. Seriously?? I don’t think so. Not from me. Not now, not ever. And especially not from some brand new brewery that hasn’t even taken the time to prove themselves with regular-strength, approachable beer that I can afford to try. It takes some serious balls to try that kind of thing, in my opinion, and I’m not having it. I wish more beer drinkers would just start brewing their own instead of shelling out that kind of insane money for something they could brew themselves for far less money.
Anyway, I’ll stop ranting now :blah: . But seriously, I hope most of us here have what it takes to make our own interpretations of beer styles, or create our own new styles, instead of getting ripped off on a regular basis.

[quote=“deliusism1”]Can somebody please tell me what could possibly justify a price like that on any beer? Seriously, I love beer as much as anyone else here, but I’ve had about all I can take of this kind of nonsense. It’s gotten to the point where you can hardly even find anything drinkable any more for less than $5 for a 22-ouncer, and way more for one of these exotic experimental brews that are really just some weird concoction thrown together for no other purpose than charging a ridiculous amount of money for something that should be reasonably priced. And some of the beers coming out these days that cost an arm and a leg aren’t even anything out of the ordinary at all in terms of ingredients or alcohol content :evil: .
Clown Shoes’ beer is a good example of what I’m talking about. These guys just appeared on the scene in my home state of Michigan a few months ago, and right out of the gate, they think they can charge $10/ bottle for a bottle of Belgian-style IPA at 7% ABV. Seriously?? I don’t think so. Not from me. Not now, not ever. And especially not from some brand new brewery that hasn’t even taken the time to prove themselves with regular-strength, approachable beer that I can afford to try. It takes some serious balls to try that kind of thing, in my opinion, and I’m not having it. I wish more beer drinkers would just start brewing their own instead of shelling out that kind of insane money for something they could brew themselves for far less money.
Anyway, I’ll stop ranting now :blah: . But seriously, I hope most of us here have what it takes to make our own interpretations of beer styles, or create our own new styles, instead of getting ripped off on a regular basis.[/quote]

I think everyone has their own limit. Blakkr works out to less than $5 a pint. That seems fair. Over that, I get wary. I will try something pricey once in a while, but only if there’s something compelling about it.

The worst for me was a bomber of Surly Smoke. I dumped that crap after one sip. And I don’t dump beer. I think that was a 15 dollar dumper.

I like what Surly has done with their beers as it’s been brilliant marketing up to this point. There are a few of their beers I really like (Furious, Surlyfest, Wet, Darkness) and others that are just not my styles (Smoke, Hell, etc.). Since I’m not the type to go out much for dinner, I have no problem paying the prices they ask as it’s still cheaper if I pick one up on the way home and my wife and I cook at home. Plus, if it doesn’t really do much for me I tend to share it with others to let them have a taste (I thought BLAKKR was OK, while my brother loved it - - I like Black IPAs).

Overall, I’m happy that Surly is a part of the MN beer scene and hope they continue to have success. With that being said, we do have other great breweries in this town and I hope to support them all.

[quote=“uberculture”][quote=“deliusism1”]Can somebody please tell me what could possibly justify a price like that on any beer? Seriously, I love beer as much as anyone else here, but I’ve had about all I can take of this kind of nonsense. It’s gotten to the point where you can hardly even find anything drinkable any more for less than $5 for a 22-ouncer, and way more for one of these exotic experimental brews that are really just some weird concoction thrown together for no other purpose than charging a ridiculous amount of money for something that should be reasonably priced. And some of the beers coming out these days that cost an arm and a leg aren’t even anything out of the ordinary at all in terms of ingredients or alcohol content :evil: .
Anyway, I’ll stop ranting now :blah: . But seriously, I hope most of us here have what it takes to make our own interpretations of beer styles, or create our own new styles, instead of getting ripped off on a regular basis.[/quote]

I think everyone has their own limit. Blakkr works out to less than $5 a pint. That seems fair. Over that, I get wary. I will try something pricey once in a while, but only if there’s something compelling about it.

The worst for me was a bomber of Surly Smoke. I dumped that crap after one sip. And I don’t dump beer. I think that was a 15 dollar dumper.[/quote]

um you paid almost double the price for the 750. And no it is not 5 bucks a pint for black it is over 5

[quote=“uberculture”][quote=“deliusism1”]Can somebody please tell me what could possibly justify a price like that on any beer? Seriously, I love beer as much as anyone else here, but I’ve had about all I can take of this kind of nonsense. It’s gotten to the point where you can hardly even find anything drinkable any more for less than $5 for a 22-ouncer, and way more for one of these exotic experimental brews that are really just some weird concoction thrown together for no other purpose than charging a ridiculous amount of money for something that should be reasonably priced. And some of the beers coming out these days that cost an arm and a leg aren’t even anything out of the ordinary at all in terms of ingredients or alcohol content :evil: .

The worst for me was a bomber of Surly Smoke. I dumped that crap after one sip. And I don’t dump beer. I think that was a 15 dollar dumper.[/quote]

um you paid almost double the price for the 750. And no it is not 5 bucks a pint for black it is over 5

[quote=“deliusism1”]Can somebody please tell me what could possibly justify a price like that on any beer? Seriously, I love beer as much as anyone else here, but I’ve had about all I can take of this kind of nonsense. It’s gotten to the point where you can hardly even find anything drinkable any more for less than $5 for a 22-ouncer, and way more for one of these exotic experimental brews that are really just some weird concoction thrown together for no other purpose than charging a ridiculous amount of money for something that should be reasonably priced. And some of the beers coming out these days that cost an arm and a leg aren’t even anything out of the ordinary at all in terms of ingredients or alcohol content :evil: .

thousands of idiots keep paying it and hoarding it that beer adovocate/(whalez bro if I hear that one more time I am gonna puke) type mentality.

I think most do not realize what a rip off a bomber or a 750 is either. And one of the posts here proves that

The only beer I pay this much (well more) for is Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout. It comes out once a year and it’s $30 for a 4-pack of 12oz bottles. I bought two this year, one to drink and one to age. It’s my favorite beer on the planet so I can justify it. As a general rule though I rarely spend more than $10 on a 6-pack.

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“uberculture”][quote=“deliusism1”]Can somebody please tell me what could possibly justify a price like that on any beer? Seriously, I love beer as much as anyone else here, but I’ve had about all I can take of this kind of nonsense. It’s gotten to the point where you can hardly even find anything drinkable any more for less than $5 for a 22-ouncer, and way more for one of these exotic experimental brews that are really just some weird concoction thrown together for no other purpose than charging a ridiculous amount of money for something that should be reasonably priced. And some of the beers coming out these days that cost an arm and a leg aren’t even anything out of the ordinary at all in terms of ingredients or alcohol content :evil: .

um you paid almost double the price for the 750. And no it is not 5 bucks a pint for black it is over 5[/quote]

Sorry, I didn’t make my point well… that double price is the exception that proves the rule. I paid way too much and it was gross. I’m willing to risk $5 a pint, not much more, unless it’s a special occasion.

And I paid $18.99 for four cans, so less than $5 a pint (pretax).

[quote]
Sorry, I didn’t make my point well… that double price is the exception that proves the rule. I paid way too much and it was gross. I’m willing to risk $5 a pint, not much more, unless it’s a special occasion.

And I paid $18.99 for four cans, so less than $5 a pint (pretax).[/quote]

What, taxes are not money? It is over 20 bucks a 4pck. Most places are charging 19.99-22.99 plust tax

Bombers and 750 are a huge rip off as you can see with your smoke. You paid around 18 bucks for two beers.
You can buy a bombers of tons of craft beer and then pick up a 6pack for the same price as a bomber twice as much beer for the same price.

4packs are a rip off to, they almost short you a beer compared to a 6pack for the same price.
If you went and bought a 6 pack and it only had 5 beers it it you would be pissed but yet people fork it out for four packs

[quote=“grainbelt”]

What, taxes are not money? It is over 20 bucks a 4pck. Most places are charging 19.99-22.99 plust tax

Bombers and 750 are a huge rip off as you can see with your smoke. You paid around 18 bucks for two beers.
You can buy a bombers of tons of craft beer and then pick up a 6pack for the same price as a bomber twice as much beer for the same price.

4packs are a rip off to, they almost short you a beer compared to a 6pack for the same price.
If you went and bought a 6 pack and it only had 5 beers it it you would be pissed but yet people fork it out for four packs[/quote]

You’re not wrong. The four packs and bombers are great gimmicks to make extra money. I personally don’t mind being reamed once in a while to try something new. Plus, in the case of bombers, I like to save the bottles for homebrew. For a staple that I drink regularly, I’d never stand for it. Most of the time, at a liquor store, I ask myself whether something is going to be better than Summit, and whether I’m willing to pay more for it. Usually, the answer is no.

As with many things on this (or any) forum, this poor guy’s post has evolved into a whole 'nuther discussion…

A lot of products sell this way. The thing about wine/spirits and NOW BEER is that people pay for cache. Plus, as Don Draper said, they want to be told SO BADLY what is ‘good’, that they will let anyone tell them…including/ESPECIALLY a bunch of fart-sniffers on a crowd-sourced site like BA or Ratebeer…

Really really good, really interesting beer is a new-ish thing. Double bourbon barrel aged imperial kumquat cream ale says to your dinner guests “Hey, I’m an interesting person, check out this beer I’m serving you”.

Look at what people pay for wine. I have had $3-400/bottle wine before, and yes, it is EFFING GOOD. However, does that mean that a $30 bottle of NZ malbec or Rioja can’t be just as life-changing? No. But its about the showoff effect. Have I had $10,000 bottles? no. Would I ever buy one or consume one? If I had the means, and didn’t have to choose between redoing a bathroom/saving for my kid’s college and a few hours of mild intoxication, maybe.

I guess all I’m saying is, the market will shake itself out. If Clown Shoes puts out a mediocre product and think they can charge prices above that of The Alchemist, then they will eventually get their lunch eaten, or at least be the laughing stock of ‘The Real Aficionados’. Look at Mondavi wine. Consumers thought they were hot $#!+ buying that stuff for $50/bottle for awhile, then it became known that Mondavi essentially Wonderbread/Velveeta-ized a product that was supposed to be somewhat varied, and the purists turned on the brand.

Beer is still young in that respect. However, as the auction I posted about a few weeks back shows, it is becoming a real and respectable category. When it gets there (and its getting there), there will be some real cash chasing some real product.

[quote=“Pietro”]As with many things on this (or any) forum, this poor guy’s post has evolved into a whole 'nuther discussion…

A lot of products sell this way. The thing about wine/spirits and NOW BEER is that people pay for cache. Plus, as Don Draper said, they want to be told SO BADLY what is ‘good’, that they will let anyone tell them…including/ESPECIALLY a bunch of fart-sniffers on a crowd-sourced site like BA or Ratebeer…

Really really good, really interesting beer is a new-ish thing. Double bourbon barrel aged imperial kumquat cream ale says to your dinner guests “Hey, I’m an interesting person, check out this beer I’m serving you”.

Look at what people pay for wine. I have had $3-400/bottle wine before, and yes, it is EFFING GOOD. However, does that mean that a $30 bottle of NZ malbec or Rioja can’t be just as life-changing? No. But its about the showoff effect. Have I had $10,000 bottles? no. Would I ever buy one or consume one? If I had the means, and didn’t have to choose between redoing a bathroom/saving for my kid’s college and a few hours of mild intoxication, maybe.

I guess all I’m saying is, the market will shake itself out. [quote]If Clown Shoes puts out a mediocre product and think they can charge prices above that of The Alchemist, then they will eventually get their lunch eaten, or at least be the laughing stock of ‘The Real Aficionados’[/quote]. Look at Mondavi wine. Consumers thought they were hot $#!+ buying that stuff for $50/bottle for awhile, then it became known that Mondavi essentially Wonderbread/Velveeta-ized a product that was supposed to be somewhat varied, and the purists turned on the brand.

Beer is still young in that respect. However, as the auction I posted about a few weeks back shows, it is becoming a real and respectable category. When it gets there (and its getting there), there will be some real cash chasing some real product.[/quote]
So then, if they put out a $10 22-ouncer and it’s good, is it still worth that price? That’s my whole point here. I won’t judge others if they think a good beer is worth that price, but personally, I think it’s absurd. I don’t care how good it is, nothing about the way the beer is produced or what’s in it can justify a price like that, as far as I’m concerned. I mean, if you don’t hold producers of any kind of consumer goods to a certain threshold of tolerance on the cost of their product based on the actual material and labor cost involved in that product, where does it ever end? There are such things as bubbles in our capitalist market, and those bubbles always burst eventually. The beer industry is no exception. I don’t care to patronize brewers who are building this kind of disaster waiting to happen precisely I want to see my favorite drink and art form remain accessible and affordable, and not become another casualty of hype-driven price inflation. Enough said, I guess…for now.

[quote=“uberculture”][quote=“grainbelt”]

If you went and bought a 6 pack and it only had 5 beers it it you would be pissed but yet people fork it out for four packs[/quote]

You’re not wrong. The four packs and bombers are great gimmicks to make extra money. I personally don’t mind being reamed once in a while to try something new. Plus, in the case of bombers, I like to save the bottles for homebrew. For a staple that I drink regularly, I’d never stand for it. Most of the time, at a liquor store, I ask myself whether something is going to be better than Summit, and whether I’m willing to pay more for it. Usually, the answer is no.[/quote]

but its not a great gimmick, well I guess people that cant figure out simple math maybe buy into that gimmick but I dont know anyone that falls for it or pays it.

@ deliusion (I’ll shorten the quotes thing)…

Well then this will certainly anger you…

http://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/fine ... /index.php

I do personally agree with what (I think) you are saying however. A guy who I used to brew with (he is a professional distiller and his wife is an Ob-Gyn…aka sugar momma) has so much effing gear, and will regularly pay ridiculous prices for beer. He was ready to go in on a case of Cantillon for $500 at this auction.

If you are simply saying that each individual has his or her own barometer, I absolutely agree with you. If you are saying that no beer is ‘worth’ these prices, I vehemently disagree with you. I don’t want to get into a larger capitalistic discussion here, but if your statement is true, then the same would apply to wine, cars, antique rifles, etc. etc. etc. How is a pile of sparkplugs and steel worth $250k? How is a old non-functioning Mauser worth $5k? Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Period.

If there needs to be a market correction, than so be it. If people are paying $10 for 22 oz of garbage, then as Gordon Gekko said, a fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place. Darwinism, OTSS, etc. etc. I’m sure Stone, New Belgium et al would welcome a cleanse while they are safely aboard their arcs (that they built btw) in this flood.

This all coming from a guy who bought 4 750’s of Hill Farmstead and Brassiere de Bourges’ collaboration @ $15 per. But again, it was worth it to me at that time, and I’m sure I won’t miss $60 when I’m cracking one with good friends on a special occasion. :cheers: