BIAB Step Mash

I’ve been practicing step mash with my BIAB setup. I’m getting good efficiency 78-80% but I have trouble nailing my temps. I feel like the temperature shoots up after I shut off the heat making it hard to hit my targets perfectly. Could it be the mass of the pot keeps on cooking? I’m stirring pretty vigorously at the point where I shut off the heat and step away.

1 Like

I’ve had similar issues at times…you’re on the right track with stirring vigorously to achieve as much homogeneity of temp as you can. I try to remove the BK from the heat and did ok with temps but my problem was dialing in water volumes(generally more time on the burner/mash I would come up low on volumes. ). I’ve tried even popping it back and forth under sleeping bags for the steps.

1 Like

Correct, your mash will continue to gain heat after shutting off the heat. It’s like a piece of meat, it will keep on going. If you’re BIAB You’re adding direct heat. Bet you don’t take the BK off the heat source after turning it off… so you’re gaining even more heat.

I think It is pretty consistently an extra 4 degrees. I’ll try to take it into account next time

Heat slowly with lots of stirring…worked pretty good for me.

I am full on gas… all the BTUs… I guess slower might be more predictable

I’ve learned from experience to cut off the heat MUCH sooner than you think because there is so much carryover heating. Up to and including where you might often need to move your kettle off the burner to a cool spot for a few minutes to halt carryover from the warmed up burner itself.

4 Likes

Very late follow up. After this thread I have constantly been moving my boil kettle to the other side of the stove, the cool side, and it has been a huge help. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like