BIAB size for 2 Gallon Stainless Kettle

I am using a 2 gallon kettle that I bought from Northern Brewer to make my wort. I bought a nest bag to do BIAB but the bag it too tall, touching the bottom of the pot, and it’s not wide enough to fit around the edges of the pot. Any suggestions for a new brewer?

Touching the bottom is fine. Go to Home Depot and buy a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. It will be the perfect size

1 Like

Paper clamps help too.
Sneezles61

1 Like

If you intend to add heat to the mash via a stove or burner you will want to lift that bag slightly off the bottom but otherwise no issue if it touches.

I would consider getting a bigger pot. 2gal pot isn’t going to allow much room for grains and full amount of water.

Maybe the OP likes to brew a 6 pack? :neutral_face:
Sneezles61

1 Like

I have limited mobility and strength due to physical disability so doing a larger pot adds more weight.

I really recommend a ratcheting pulley for draining your bag.

While I am non-disabled, I cannot imagine doing the drain without this pulley as I can go do other things.
If you get into it enough to truly gear up they make all of the gear with siphons and pumps which can make the entire process accessible.

2 Likes

Well, now there is an area we’ve not talked about on here…
If I may ask, are you in a wheelchair? Then, the next question, is how would you reach the stove top?
I hope I’m not too bold for asking…
Sneezles61

Excellent ideas. Another option is multiple bags…with no pulley/hoist the first time I did a 17 lb grainbill in a single bag lift all by my lonesome self it caused some anxious moments :grimacing:
Wet grain weighs a lot .

3 gallon batches I think is the sweet spot for limited space/time/storage/stove size etc. More beer for not much more time or effort.

And I agree pumps, siphons and kettles with spigots might make this hobby accessible to some with disabilities…

1 Like

I see. I was referencing a bigger pot because with BIAB you are basically adding all your water (for grain absorption AND boil) so 2gal isn’t going to net you much.
One way you could get by is mashing in and reserving some of the water for a quick sparge. It would save you a little room in the pot.
Also, welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Yes I use a power chair that has the elevation capability so I can see inside the 2 gallon pot. The reason I haven’t gone with anything larger is for two reasons. The first is I live in an apartment so I have limited space for large vessels. The other is as we add more volume we also add more weight so the chilling process in the sink could prove dangerous if I didn’t have a solid grasp on a very hot pot.

2 Likes

I’d recommend you get an immersion chiller unless you live someplace where your water is expensive or rationed. You could chill 2 gallons really quickly. I actually have a copper one I made myself long ago that I no longer use. I’d be happy to send it to you. I’ve been put on notice to clear out some things I no longer use. haha It currently has a fitting to connect to a garden hose but you could change that out for something that would fit your faucet. That way you can chill your wort before you have handle the kettle.

Brewing in a small apartment… Squeegee about has it mastered… I’ll think he has “space saving” ideas…
You may have a pump in your future, should you keep after this hobby…
I commend you for moving ahead… not just idling about…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Your fine brewing 1 gallon batches just have to brew weekly is all.

Welcome to the forum! As you can see, lots of helpful people here to answer any questions you may have. We are always happy to help new brewers get started. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Yes I brew in a 900 sq ft apartment that I share with 3 others. I have a sink faucet that my chiller screws onto. My 8g gallon pot is very heavy when full of water and grains. The ratchetier pulls helps with the BIAB and I try to have gravity take care of most of my needs.

My minimum would probably be 2 - 2.5 gallons i have a 4 gallon pot. If i were a bottler that’s what I’d do. I h do 5 because thats thw size of the kegs

I was looking at a couple online and it looks like you need to mount it in a ceiling. That’s hard to do when you live in an apartment.

I use my pulley by attaching it to our pot rack… which I have mounted to the ceiling, So yes one needs to be able to get a substantial anchor.