BIAB holding mash temp?

Hello what are some tip’s for holding mash temperature when using the BIAB method?

You go as simple as wrapping a blanket around the kettle or using reflective insulation wrap. If your really inclined there was a write up in BYO abut a kettle coozie you can make.

2 Likes

Electric element set at 12% power while recirc… Sneezles61

I use a blanket under my kettle on the floor, then wrap the kettle with a sleeping bag. Never lost more than 2*

Cheers,

Ron

2 Likes

I bungee a comforter around my kettle. Hangs right in there.

1 Like

I made a 2 layer reflectix wrap and then cover with as many blankets that I can find. Last two batches it was pretty cold outside. Lost about 4 degrees each time. I don’t bother stirring all that often as I don’t want to lose any extra heat. I don’t bother trying to heat it back up either since it’s only 1 degree every 15 minutes. Starting at 152°.

3 layers of Reflextix that I sewed together and sewed on velcro closure. I have 2 layers that go on the lid.
I lose about 2 or 3 degrees over an hour, stirring every 15 mins

I don’t stir. I used to then stopped after reading one of those low oxygen brewing articles. I stopped doughing in with electric drill and paint paddle

2 Likes

That sounds nice. I just wrap mine around and pull these tabs through the previous layer. I think reflectix is meant to have an air gap to maximize R value so I stopped at 2 layers.

2 Likes

I leave my kettle on the burner of my brew cart and slip an old sleeping bag over it. Sometimes lose 1 degree on very very cold days but I’m pretty well protected from wind in my basement stairwell. I don’t stir after the dough in, just never had the need to. My efficiency is fine without it and I do a sparge. Not fancy but it works fine.

I mash in a round cooler. It’s still in a bag, but also kinda like regular mashing.

Youve been pretty quiet man. Glad you’re back.

You’re too kind, thanks! Things have been pretty busy at work, so by the time I get to reading posts everything I’d want to contribute has already been said.

3 Likes

I think stirring helps if you have a lot of grain stuffed in the pot. I see a gain in efficiency

The air gaps are kind of built in. There was a post somewhere of a guy who painted his point with the ceramic paint they use to coat oil/gas storage tanks. The pot looked disgusting but it apparently work well.

Seems work always gets in the way with brewing and sampling… ahhh nuts…:weary: Sneezles61

1 Like

My Ace Hardware 5 gal cooler. $18 with my 25% off coupon. I lost one degree on a 60 min mash

3 Likes

Classic style

The blue one would only lose 1/2 of a degree… :joy: Sneezles61

3 Likes

I think the red is a bold statement. Everyone uses orange or blue.

1 Like