Beginner AG - Lessons Learned

So I finally brewed my first AG. I chose a Magic Hat #9 recipe. For the mash, I was aiming for 152F, but my cooler absorbed a bit more heat than I expected, so I ended up at 151F. I chose to batch sparge since my fly sparging contraption hasn’t been built, yet.

I sparged at 170F, but it wasn’t over a 45min period. More like 15min. Also, I kind of goofed since I boiled my sparge water in the same pot I intended to drain into. When I stirred the grain bed while draining, I would get a stuck sparge. To fix this I blew in the line to break the clog & had no more problems. I collected about 7 gallons & boiled for 80 min.

My OG was a bit high at 1.042, and the volume in my carboy was a little low for my taste. I added about 3qts to get 5.5 gal & pitched at single step-up starter at 75F. It’s been 12hrs, fermentation is very active & around 72F.

I wish I hit that close to my target temps on my first all grain batch…good job!
I now start the mash high by a few degrees and add ice cubes to bring the temp down to target temp. As far as the batch sparge not taking 45 mins, that’s the point! it speeds the process with out losing efficiency. After adding the sparge water should be the only time you stir the mash during this step. then let it sit for 10 mins and vorlauft then drain into your kettle.

I don’t even let my batch sparge water settle any more. I just mix it in, stir the crap out of it, and then vourlof a bunch to settle the grain bed. I just run off slowly, not sure if that is necessary but I don’t have issues of stuck sparges.

Your temps were pretty great I would have to say. I’d be happy with that right off the bat. I like to keep ice cubes and a tea kettle of boiling water on hand for adjustments. If either make sure to really mix it in before taking a temp reading.

Do you always pitch so high and ferment that high? What style are you brewing? I like to chill my wort, and then will let it sit in the basement if needed to cool down to slightly below my target fermentation temp.

yea, you brewing (mashing) temps were great, but I am not at all crazy about your pitching and fermentation temps. If it is an ale, cool it way down and instantly make much better beer.

My beer temps during fermentation are between 60 and 64 degrees. Ambient temps are about 58 degrees.

Yeah TBH, those temps are a bit high for my likings. I aim to pitch around 66-70F, and my storage area during fermentation is usually about 60F (hardwood closet floor).

This is my 4th batch, first time AG & first time using WLP002. While stir-plating my yeast starter, I noticed these guys are quite inactive at the usual 62-68F. The vial they came in said pitch at 75F & ferment at 68-70F (I had been drinking all day)…

Either way, it’s not the hottest I’ve seen a fermenting beer. I’m hoping she’ll drop to 66-68F.

You don’t need to let the sparge water sit. Just stir it in, vorlauf and runoff.

15 min. is fine for batch sparging. If it had taken 45 min. you would have wasted a lot of time.

Thanks guys. I just checked it on my lunch break. She’s at 70F & appears to be getting lower. I’ll be racking to a secondary on top of apricot puree. I’m going to assume that will mask any off flavors that may have developed at the higher temps.

[quote=“GhengisT”]I’ll be racking to a secondary on top of apricot puree.[/quote]Unless you already have the puree, I recommend that you use a quality extract instead and dial in the dosage just before bottling.

Yeah I already have it. I got the recipe from the head brewer at Magic Hat brewery (phone interview), and he said they use the extract… Couldn’t provide a specific amount/dosage. He said every batch, they just sample & add to taste.

She was starting to warm up yesterday afternoon 70-72dF. Beginners intuition & desparate need for a cooling solution led me to a bathtub filled w/ cold water.

Check it this morning and she’s a happy 67dF. Much less active fermentation though. For sake of cleaning up off flavors, how long do you guys recommend I leave her in primary (before racking to secondary)? I usually do it as soon as krausen starts to fall.

[quote=“GhengisT”]She was starting to warm up yesterday afternoon 70-72dF. Beginners intuition & desparate need for a cooling solution led me to a bathtub filled w/ cold water.

Check it this morning and she’s a happy 67dF. Much less active fermentation though. For sake of cleaning up off flavors, how long do you guys recommend I leave her in primary (before racking to secondary)? I usually do it as soon as krausen starts to fall.[/quote]

Hunkering down for the onslaught of secondary opinions to come…lol

You shouldn’t need a secondary at all for that beer. Just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks.