Beer and kids

You can spot them in juvey with the bewildered looks on their faces; turns out the rest of the world does say no, a lot, and their kids can’t handle it.

My 3-year-old just pulled me a pint of Duder’s Abrasive Ale clone! :lol: Some of the best pictures of my kids growing up so far involve them helping me “check the beer,” sniffing the airlocks, picking hops, etc. When I grew up, my parents never drank or anything. I think I saw my dad drink a beer only 2-3 times, until I started sharing my homebrew with him.

I enjoyed my fair share of alcohol in high school, but come on, that’s going to happen one way or the other, if that’s your kids’ personality. My best friend has really never drank, that’s just his style I guess. My wife is pretty much the same way.

I’m glad that my boys can see me having an interest in good beer, and enjoying it in a responsible way. I’m modeling a healthy relationship with alcohol for my boys. I feel like it will open up a clear conversation about mood-altering substances, etc., when the time is right. There’s no reason whatsoever to go all hardcore and treat “beer” as a naughty word.

Whoa, there lady. Time for a reality check. :roll:

Since I live in the middle of the “Bible Belt” south Alabama where homebrewing is still considered a felony. I can tell you that these kinds of things happen all the time around here. For some strange reason most people around here look at beer drinkers as “Sinners”. Some of the people I work with even go as far as to put filters on their televisions to filter out any alcohol related commercials etc…so their kids don’t see them. IMO it’s doing their kids more harm than good. Needless to say I love wearing my “Beer is proof God loves us” t-shirt to work during our Casual Fridays !!!

I grew up with the adults drinking beer and smoking both tobacco and weed. It was always done in a responsible manner and to me it was just something adults did. Uncle or Dad’s friend would stop by, He and my Dad would crack a beer, pack a bowl and BS for a while. I never once thought it was weird. once I got to high school, I did all three, but it never had the “thrill” so I never went crazy like all my friends.

That is strange.

You should have asked what the heck they were doing in your bedroom showing the kid what a bed was, 'cause that’s where ‘it’ happens. THE HORROR.

My impression has always been that the kids who were totally sheltered from alcohol, from sex, etc., were the ones who learned it from their idiot friends and got it totally wrong. They went off to college and got to try alcohol for the first time, couldn’t handle it and flunked out.
And some grew up thinking you couldn’t get pregnant the first time you had sex, or on a Monday, or some stupid thing their friend told them, and they had a kid way too early.

My motto as a parent of 18 and 16 y.o. girls is totally open communication. No topic is off limits. Makes for some interesting conversations at the dinner table but when they leave the house I know I’ll be glad we’ve talked about just about everything.

Maybe they’re just wine snobs. :twisted:

I think it’s kind of absurd, however in the nanny state we live in, I could see some busy body day care worker contacting DHS if your toddler is talking about how much beer daddy drinks.

[quote=“Diesel Tonic”]You should have asked what the heck they were doing in your bedroom showing the kid what a bed was, 'cause that’s where ‘it’ happens. THE HORROR.[/quote]Thread winner so far!

My folks never mentioned golf around me and I’m a raging golfoholic.

Most parents who shelter their kids entirely end up regretting how the kids deal with things later on. I’m not saying get kids drunk, but if the beer is available at a young age, say 16-18, as a beverage choice, I think they won’t go crazy with it when on their own or at least they won’t be as likely to do that or as badly. Just my personal observation over the years. My son turns 21 in March and has been my brewery assistant since he was a teen. He likes beer, but doesn’t drink often, because he is a student athlete. Illinois has a new law making it a misdemeanor to allow any minor to have alcohol in your house - so my point of view is not prevalent these days… Call me out of touch, I guess.

When my (now 8-year old) was in Kindergarten, the teacher went around the room and asked all the kids what their parents do for work and what they do for fun.

She said, that Daddy drinks beer for fun. Of course, she forgot to mention that I do so while playing Xbox or playing cards! Oh well.

I was slightly waiting for a call from the teacher - it never came. Would have been a fun conversation though.

My parents didn’t drink much when I was growing up…at least not in front of us kids. I knew where the liquor cabinet was, but I never even had a temptation to try it. I didn’t drink at all until I was 21…never had the “drug, sex, alcohol” talks with my parents either. I just “knew better” I guess.

I, on the other hand, want my kids to have a healthy exposure to the adult world as they grow up. Mommy and Daddy drink beer and mixed drinks. We’re not going to hide it, and we’re going to have that talk with the kids when it’s time.

I’m not really sure what all the hullabaloo is about. It’s just beer. Hell, it’s one of the oldest known beverages to mankind. Don’t think of it is teaching your kids about alcohol…think of it as a lesson in human history. :cheers:

[quote=“stompwampa”]When my (now 8-year old) was in Kindergarten, the teacher went around the room and asked all the kids what their parents do for work and what they do for fun.
[/quote]That was my point above, innocent questions and/or comments used to profile parents.

I have 4 kids. Oldest (19), a boy and 3 girls (17, 15 and 12). Each of them can pull a pint off the taps like a pro and none of them have any interest in beer. It’s just part of the house. They know it is here and they know how it it made. I think it lands in the knowledge is power area of life.

My son is a freshman at ISU and is a member of the marching band. He is also a member of “Team Sobriety” and has no interest in alcohol. I know this will change but right now he is focused on his major in Civil Engineering and would rather do well in his classes than get numb and not remember Friday/Saturday. He has been able to serve off a tap or or a bottle since he was 6.

I would rather kids know what is going on rather than get hung up on what polite society says is normal. That’s just me and everyone is allowed to raise their kids as they see fit.

My advice, answer any question you child asks. Don’t dodge or chicken out. I’ve seen my family blush when I answer my kids questions at family gatherings but when it comes time for them to make decisions, so far, they have made very rational and acceptable choices. The first time you see your kid reduce a prudish teachers to silence is a gift. Make them understand the need to be analytical, it’s best gift you can give (a deft ability to use sarcasm is another 8^) ).

I also say “to each their own and then some”, I don’t care what you do to your kids but leave mine to me.

Prost!

Paul

[quote=“Glug Master”]

My folks never mentioned golf around me and I’m a raging golfoholic.[/quote]

I am worse. I am a golfaholic that drinks MY beer while playing!

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“Glug Master”]

My folks never mentioned golf around me and I’m a raging golfoholic.[/quote]

I am worse. I am a golfaholic that drinks MY beer while playing![/quote]

I am pretty sure golf has made me drink more over the years. It is a stupid game that I am obsessed with! Play 3-4 days a week in the summer. Can’t wait to have home brew out there with me this year.

Sorry, off topic…

I won’t pass judgement on the mother, but it did remind me of when my oldest daughter was a youngster. When we would have beer it was often in cans, and on occasion I would give her a little can of apple juice and she’d call it “apple juice beer”. Once or twice I gave her a sip of beer and she’d shiver from head to foot. As a 31-yr-old now she is a successful person who has no taste for beer, but she understands my interest in brewing.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]
I am pretty sure golf has made me drink more over the years. It is a stupid game that I am obsessed with! Play 3-4 days a week in the summer. Can’t wait to have home brew out there with me this year.

Sorry, off topic…[/quote]

Not really. My 25 year old “kid” is well adjusted, is my official “tester” and helps my thin out my kegs from time to time. He may have in fact had a better exposure to craft brew while in college than I had as an adult, until about 5 years ago. And the private golf course I live on is very conducive to playing and consuming home brew.

FWIW - the original poster’s friend was living in a dream world, or at least one that I believe is unhealthy for their child. Back in college in the 70’s, I saw the sheltered kids come rolling into the college world. It was pretty ugly to see them exposed to life outside their parents control for the first time.

The way I look at it, the less you turn something into a big deal or a taboo, the less your kids are going to gravitate to that. Kids are gigantic sponges that are just thirsting for knowledge. If you are open and honest about something, then they are a lot less likely to be drawn to that subject since they already know about it. If you turn something into a secret, then your kids are a lot more likely to delve into it on their own to see what the big deal is all about. And the downside there is that they will be completely bypassing your guidance as a parent.

My son is only 2&1/2, but I’m looking forward to when he’s old enough to help me brew beer. I rarely drink more than one beer a day. Hopefully he will see me as a role model and take a responsible approach to his alcohol consumption as he grows older.

I don’t see why these people don’t just say that there are kids drinks and adult drinks and the kids can decide for themselves if they want to drink alcohol when they’re the proper age. My kids are older now (12, 14 and 17) and have been watching me brew and drink beer their whole lives. Isn’t it better to just be honest about it? I suppose this all hinges on whether you’re a responsible person when you drink. I never appear to be overly loose or out-of-control when I drink and that goes for being at a party where everyone there is an adult or somewhere with kids. I still know people who won’t drink in front of their 10-years or below children & I don’t get it. Unfortunately, I also know people who drink entirely too much in front of their kids and get sloppy & ignore their kids… not good either. Everyone does it differently and you need to know what’s right for your situation. My kids don’t like the smell or taste of beer… yet.

+1

I find it amusing (sort of) that your friends in a way assumed that you knew not to use the word “beer.” My 2 year old know the word well and will try some before he’s 21, just like I did as a kid. I remember being allowed a juice glass of light lager at dinner when I was 12 or so. No big deal.

+1

I find it amusing (sort of) that your friends in a way assumed that you knew not to use the word “beer.” My 2 year old know the word well and will try some before he’s 21, just like I did as a kid. I remember being allowed a juice glass of light lager at dinner when I was 12 or so. No big deal.

She is a stone cold fool.

I grew up a conservative as it gets. Church O Christ parents, so Alchohol only exhisted as a subject of evil as did sex, drugs, partying, rock music and darn near anything that wasent boring.

Did they get the adult they wanted??? Far from it. I grew up to be a hard scientist who brews drinks beer, and has lots of friends who qualify as hippies.

I have two Daughters 17 and 18. we have always been open and honest (Santa never stood a chance). Myt kids are far less rebellious, they happier and are far better ready for the realities of life than I was at that age. I had to go research damn near everything I ever wanted to know about because noone talked about embarrising or tabboo things. Might be how I got to be a chemist.

I don’t get folks. You spend your childs entire childhood lying to them. Why should you think they will trust you later. You have already proven yourself to be a lier. I am far far from perfect but my girls know darn good and well theat there is one place they will NEVER get a BS or made up answer.

Barry