Beer and kids

My wife and I hosted a party recently and at one point I walked into a bedroom where my wife and my buddy’s wife were playing on the floor with our daughter and their daughter, both 2 years old. So I put my beer down on the floor and sat down and played with them for a bit. After a couple minutes our friends’ daughter went to pick up her juice cup but reached for my beer instead, so I said something like, “no no honey that’s my beer, your juice is over here”, didn’t think anything of it. Until my buddy’s wife looked at me in disbelief and said, “Oh we don’t use that word in front of her”. She wasn’t being nasty to me or anything but seemed genuinely shocked I that I would say that in front of the kids. I was a bit taken aback by this, I didn’t say anything at the time, just said I was sorry about that and moved on. What do you guys/gals think, anyone else find it odd to try to shelter/protect kids from the mere knowledge that alcohol exists, or am I just some kind of degenerate drunk that has no business raising a kid? :?

IHMO I think it is very odd. I bet they think it is okay to lie to their kids and tell them there is an Easter bunny, tooth fairy, and Santa Claus.

That sounds odd to me… meaning what she said to you is odd. You can’t bury your head (or your childs head) in the sand and act like things don’t exist. Everyone is allowed to raise their kids how they wish. I plan on teaching my son about alcohol, brewing, etc. I’ll teach him to respect and not abuse alcohol… like I did as a teenager. This is my choice. That woman has her choice. I don’t agree with it, but I’m not raising her children.

If there were a ‘Like’ button here, I’d use it. ‘LIKE’

Reminds me of the times parents tell their kids there’s no score for example during a soccer game.

Sure there’s a score. Some win, some lose. FWIW, my eight year old can pour me a better beer from the keezer than my wife can :cheers:

That is odd, but I’ve seen parents do that. “no, that’s daddy’s juice”. They won’t say “beer” to their kid. it’s ridiculous. My kids know I brew BEER, not JUICE. If daddy has a beer in his hand, my 18 month old will say “daddy beer”. Doesn’t stop him from wanting it though… Both of my sons will be the reason I put tap locks on my faucets.

My 5 1/2 year old son will get out of the car and smell the garage hours after I’ve finished brewing/cleaning up and ask,“Daddy, have you been brewing today?”.

He also know not to pull the tap handles! :lol:

Seriously, I grew up in a household where alcohol was mostly never on display. These days, my mom, who doesn’t even like beer, will give mine a little taste now and again. I think she’s kind of proud and curious all at the same time about how much I like talking about this process of beer making.

They will find alcohol/beer and it will find them.

May as well talk about it and get the information to them in a responsible, open way. Probably how you might expect to talk to them someday about sex too. :shock:

Or not. If we don’t talk about that… sshhh. They’ll never find out about that, right? :roll:

That said, everyone is entitled to raise their kids however they see fit. Just know in your heart they’re wrong! :lol:

Good Luck

[quote=“Duder”]May as well talk about it and get the information to them in a responsible, open way. Probably how you might expect to talk to them someday about sex too. :shock:
[/quote]

I did mention I had a daughter right…there will be no sex, no dates, no boyfriends… :blah: …well a man can dream right

[quote=“Duder”]
That said, everyone is entitled to raise their kids however they see fit. Just know in your heart they’re wrong! :lol:

Good Luck[/quote]

My thoughts exactly :wink:

Funny you say that, because my buddy(the husband of the woman who made the original comment), at one point also said something to the effect, “have you gotten to the point where they ask you what ‘that’ is, hard to know what to tell them…”, again referring to beer and not wanting to let the cat out of the bag that it does exist

Although I do find the term “No No Juice” extremely amusing, I don’t see how a kid would benefit from not knowing a fantastic word like beer.

From about the age of one, my daughter would point at beer cans and say “Dadda”. Now at two and a half she rounds up my empties and puts them in a pile.

On the other hand she does say “Douche” everytime she hears the name of our Prime Minister (since she was one and a half). So I might not be the best role model here. Or maybe I am the best. Yeah, my kid is awesome.

And she was referencing the word “beer” and not the word “no”? Because I have heard of parents that do not use the word “no” to their children…either way it is a little silly though.

I do not have a ton of parenting experience though (wife is pregnant with our first). To this point I actually have zero parenting experience.

I plan on brewing for a long time and probably drinking beer an even longer time so it is something that will be in and around our house. It was always in my house growing up and my parents didn’t shy away from what it was. We were taught that if we messed with it we got in trouble. That deterred me for years. Not until I got to high school age that I ignored those warnings and honestly, if a HS age kid wants to drink beer then they will obviously know the word by then, and get their hands on it if it is mine or someone else’s. I will use tap locks, etc and do my best to keep my kid(s) away but I think pretending that “beer” isn’t a word is pretty silly.

My kids confuse beer and coffee all the time they know that both of them are drinks they won’t like, and aren’t allowed to try.

I don’t want my kids to drink mt dew or eat two many choc chip cookies but I’m not gonna pretend they don’t exist

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]And she was referencing the word “beer” and not the word “no”? Because I have heard of parents that do not use the word “no” to their children…either way it is a little silly though.

[/quote]

Haha yes it was definitely the word beer…I would love to watch the parents of a toddler attempting to get through a day without using the word “No”, that would be high comedy…that was actually my daughter’s first consistent word…and still her favorite!

I dont even have kids but I think thats really weird. I grew up in a house that held the belief that alcohol is a great thing and that it should be enjoyed responsibly. In Italy they let their kids have wine(watered down) at family events and act like its not a big deal. So the “rebelious” side of alcohol never has a place to land. So the idea that a child should be sheltered from it just breeds a grown up that doesnt know how to enjoy it the right way in my opinion.

The phrase “daddy juice” is most disturbing. Really is…

My aunt will order a beer, ask the server to put ice and a straw in it, all so my 11 year old cousin won’t know it’s beer, and says she is ordering “tea”. Even though every time she does order her “Tea”, my cousin calls her out on ordering a beer and hiding it.

Don’t understand it.

I agree with this, better to learn slowly than be sheltered and go nuts once you’re out on your own.

5 year old step son helps me brew, bottle, label, and anything else I can think of for him to do.

dont hide it teach responsibility

he even gets to try the wort… doesn’t like it, but tries it

I’m guessing my hill billy childhood would shock her hair white. I not only knew what beer was I knew what it tasted like.